Ever have an itch you just had to scratch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been looking for one of these with the right miles and equipment for over a year. Pulled the trigger on this one last week. Flew out to Oklahoma City to pick it up and the 700 mile trip back was great( got out of there before the storms ) and averaged 28 miles per gallon. Double overdrive 6 speed with 3:42 gears = 1600 rpm @ 75mph.

You must be registered for see images attach

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Dude that is one sweet ride! Really diggin it!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nice Johm !!! So are you in OKC metro area too??? I assume this means that 85 pick up will be getting rests huh???

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Nice!! Someone hasn't been affected by the economy :D

I likey! When are you taking us all for a ride??

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice Johm !!! So are you in OKC metro area too??? I assume this means that 85 pick up will be getting rests huh???

No on both counts. Last week was the first and only time I've been to OKC. Would like to have spent more time to see the sights but picking up the Vette at Jackie Cooper BMW was all the time I had this trip. The 85 will still get driven everyday as it is now my work truck.

Last time I was in Oklahoma I was at Ft. Sill and I didn't get to do any sightseeing then either, that was 1972.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice!! Someone hasn't been affected by the economy :D

I likey! When are you taking us all for a ride??

Just come on down to Hop-town and we'll go for a spin!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
What year is it? My buddy used to have a '98 that looks similar but it was that Pewter :)puke:) color rather than that red! It drove great (of course :crazy:) but I wasn't big on that pewter color. I think the fastest we got it up to was about 130 and it was an auto which woulda been much cooler as a 6 speed manual!

Definitely love your choice! :D

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No on both counts. Last week was the first and only time I've been to OKC. Would like to have spent more time to see the sights but picking up the Vette at Jackie Cooper BMW was all the time I had this trip. The 85 will still get driven everyday as it is now my work truck.

Last time I was in Oklahoma I was at Ft. Sill and I didn't get to do any sightseeing then either, that was 1972.

OK, I get it. I must not have read it right. You flew into OKC. I used to work there too. If you paid attention to those ugly Shuttles with the big Horses on the side of them, I used to drive those at that airport. Had I known you'd been in town ahead of time, I could been your hotel and ride. I've done it before. Being central in USA, I get to see a few of my old buds from Cali or whereever they are now. If they pass thru OKC on a trip or as I did, he flew to MO to buy a truck off ebay, he left MO for a 4 hour drive, and rested here for a night before he drove on back to FL. I also have friedns from Cali on vaction drop in for a night sleep and eat then off on their trip next day after getting rested up. It works out good. BTW, I live 15-20min from the airport.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is it? My buddy used to have a '98 that looks similar but it was that Pewter :)puke:) color rather than that red! It drove great (of course :crazy:) but I wasn't big on that pewter color. I think the fastest we got it up to was about 130 and it was an auto which woulda been much cooler as a 6 speed manual!

Definitely love your choice! :D

It's a 1999 which was the first year for the FRC cars ( fixed roof coupe ). These were the lightest of all the C5 era Vettes and were marketed as entry level cars with few frills. This car has about every option you could get on a 99 FRC and many options that were available on the convertibles and targa top cars could not even be ordered. In 2001 this car became the Z06 and was produced in this body style through 2004. Getting in and out of the car is a chore for me but once inside it is very comfortable for a sports car. It already had a Corsa stainless steel exhaust system on it and the sound is incredible with no droning at any speed. This one will probably never see 130 mph unless I make it to a track day on a road course somewhere. Too many forrest rats around here for that. I've already had an encounter with a deer on my motorcycle and that was enough for me.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I get it. I must not have read it right. You flew into OKC. I used to work there too. If you paid attention to those ugly Shuttles with the big Horses on the side of them, I used to drive those at that airport. Had I known you'd been in town ahead of time, I could been your hotel and ride. I've done it before. Being central in USA, I get to see a few of my old buds from Cali or whereever they are now. If they pass thru OKC on a trip or as I did, he flew to MO to buy a truck off ebay, he left MO for a 4 hour drive, and rested here for a night before he drove on back to FL. I also have friedns from Cali on vaction drop in for a night sleep and eat then off on their trip next day after getting rested up. It works out good. BTW, I live 15-20min from the airport.

Yea, I rode in one of those shuttles over to my motel room. There wasn't a lot of planning involved with this trip as I made an offer on this car a couple of weeks earlier and was shut down fast. The Wednesday before Christmas I get a call that if I still was willing to deal at my price to come and get it. With all the holidays and the terrible weather in the Noerteast I barely made it there. One flight was cancelled. Second plane I boarded was grounded before we took off due to a water leak, changed to another plane that wasn't scheduled to leave that evening so we had to sit on the ground while it was resupplied for the round trip to OKC. I got to my motel room at 11 PM and I had thought I would be half way back to Kentucky with the car by then.

Really appreciate the thought about the lift from the airport and all, I'm a member of a motorcycle group that has done that when fellow riders come through.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
It's a 1999 which was the first year for the FRC cars ( fixed roof coupe ). These were the lightest of all the C5 era Vettes and were marketed as entry level cars with few frills. This car has about every option you could get on a 99 FRC and many options that were available on the convertibles and targa top cars could not even be ordered. In 2001 this car became the Z06 and was produced in this body style through 2004. Getting in and out of the car is a chore for me but once inside it is very comfortable for a sports car. It already had a Corsa stainless steel exhaust system on it and the sound is incredible with no droning at any speed. This one will probably never see 130 mph unless I make it to a track day on a road course somewhere. Too many forrest rats around here for that. I've already had an encounter with a deer on my motorcycle and that was enough for me.

NICE! Those Corsa setups are some of the nicest exhaust systems out there IMO. My buddy's was a targa top vette which was nice in the summer time. If you're tall, the are definitely a little difficult to get into but once in you feel like you're sitting in a glove :D

FOOTNOTE: When we did the 130 mph we were definitely young and very dumb but it was on a 5 lane hwy in the middle of the night. This was probably 7 or 8 years ago now and I would not do this today now that I'm older.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
130 in a Vette isn't real fast. Smooth and Comfy, you don't even realize your going that fast except the white lines are flashing pretty quick. My step bro got an inheritance and has a Z06. A realtor buddy of mine has one too, and says 150 mph no problem, and it get there quick. He does that on the turnpike between Tulsa and OKC at 2 or 3am Of course he doesn't do it the whole trip and had a high dollar radar detector, which is about worthless at that speed anyway as well as laser being worthless at any speed, but he has made it from Tulsa to OKC in 90 minutes a few times when its a 2 hour drive at speed limits or a littlve above speed limits.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
130 in a Vette isn't real fast...

definitely was a very smooth ride and wasn't even breathing hard. Very effortless. I would like to get my hands on one of the new ones and take it for a spin as well... :drool:

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
................:flipthebird:

J/K....:) That's a beautiful car, and definitely my favorite color choice. Congrats on the purchase!!!!!!!!!!!

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not but this car has been a lot of fun for the last 15 years and I still have young guys asking when I'm going to sell it. Not as fast as the Vette but still a great road car. 170,000 miles and still running strong.

The GMC 3500 van in the background is/was my work vehicle. 279.000 miles and needing a new fuel pump but other than that it's still quite a workhorse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub