electrical problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LANIAC

Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
hey guys i'm new to the forum, I have an 86 Silverado 2wd 1/2 ton that I've had for many yrs.. we've hoed a long road together. I recently lowered her 2-1/2-4 about two wks ago. today I went to move her and I noticed the clock and fuel gage and blower motor were not working. does anybody have any suggestions. all fuses look good

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
hey guys i'm new to the forum, I have an 86 Silverado 2wd 1/2 ton that I've had for many yrs.. we've hoed a long road together. I recently lowered her 2-1/2-4 about two wks ago. today I went to move her and I noticed the clock and fuel gage and blower motor were not working. does anybody have any suggestions. all fuses look good
welcome to the forum. Looks alone aren't the best way to judge fuses. I would double check with a test light. Sudden things like this that take out multiple items can usually be traced to a power or ground issue. If the fuses do test good, you'll need to consult a schematic to see what points those have in common for power and ground distribution.

LANIAC

Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
thanks csfj i'll try that and get back with you

LANIAC

Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
i just checked the fuse box with a test light and half the fuse box want light up, i'm lost

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Now nobody will ever call me an electrical genius, but, if what you mean is that neither side of the fuse slots has power, you need to check the power into the box. The next most likely culprit is going to be the fusible links. Does this still start and drive though?

LANIAC

Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
yes it starts right up,

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
What circuits are dead? I ask, because someone else on here may know off the top of their head which fusible link to look at. That is where I'm at with this, you need to find out what powers the parts of the fuse box that are dead. The reference library on here has most of the service manuals, and there should be an electrical schematic to map it for you.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
What circuits are dead? I ask, because someone else on here may know off the top of their head which fusible link to look at. That is where I'm at with this, you need to find out what powers the parts of the fuse box that are dead. The reference library on here has most of the service manuals, and there should be an electrical schematic to map it for you.
Well it won’t do it for you. You must follow the circuits.

LANIAC

Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
the clock the heater blower motor the fuel gage and dome lights dont work but dash lights and all other lights work

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
You're gonna need to look at the schematic. Those are most likely tied together somewhere, and that point is where your problem lies.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Yes the clock and interior lights are together

LANIAC

Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
thanks guys, i'll give it a looksie in the morning

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
None of the fuse links serve ONLY the clock and courtesy lights. IF you have a blown fuse link, a power loss will involve more than just those 2 items.. The clock and courtesy lights are on the same fuse, but they don't share the same ground. Well, actually they do, but not in the way you'd think.. The door jamb switch provides the ground for the courtesy lights. The circuit is "hot" at the bulbs. A separate ground wire is run from the bulbs to the jamb switch. The clock's ground path is completed at the ground buss bar near the parking brake pedal..

Break out your test light again and test the fuse marked "CTSY/CLOCK.. Ground the test light and check each end of the fuse.. If the test light shows power at only one end of the fuse, the fuse is bad.. If it shows power at both ends, you have an open somewhere in the circuit.. As others have noted, it's time to break out the diagram and start tracing wires..

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
I'm not a moderator, so don't take this as me "scolding" you.. Being as you're new here, you may not understand how things go around here.. Please don't start multiple threads concerning the same problem.. It makes it hard for others to follow along.. Go to your introduction thread for my comments on the electrical problem you're having...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue