Electrical issue....truck not starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KRE8S4U

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm thrilled to be a new member on the forum and and a new owner of an 84 C10 Short Bed.......the only bad thing is now this truck won't start.

Hopefully, all your expertise can help us get rolling again.

About a week ago, my son walked out to the truck and tried to start it and it would only make continuous clicking noises.....seems like a jump start was the only thing to get it going again. I had the alternator checked and battery and all seemed fine but since my son is driving it I went ahead and put a new battery on it. I also replaced the starter as O'rielly advised it sounded like it was going out.......truck started great for a day then went out and bam, same clicking noise and the truck hasn't started for a few days now.
Also, prior to all this the lights would flicker on and off and kind of strobe some not sure if there is some kind of electrical issue or where to really begin weeding out prospects?
Your help is appreciated!

84 Chevy Short Bed
350 Engine
350 Turbo Tranny

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I'm thrilled to be a new member on the forum and and a new owner of an 84 C10 Short Bed.......the only bad thing is now this truck won't start.

Hopefully, all your expertise can help us get rolling again.

About a week ago, my son walked out to the truck and tried to start it and it would only make continuous clicking noises.....seems like a jump start was the only thing to get it going again. I had the alternator checked and battery and all seemed fine but since my son is driving it I went ahead and put a new battery on it. I also replaced the starter as O'rielly advised it sounded like it was going out.......truck started great for a day then went out and bam, same clicking noise and the truck hasn't started for a few days now.
Also, prior to all this the lights would flicker on and off and kind of strobe some not sure if there is some kind of electrical issue or where to really begin weeding out prospects?
Your help is appreciated!

84 Chevy Short Bed
350 Engine
350 Turbo Tranny

Check the cables, make sure the connections are clean and tight. Batt positive goes down to the starter, gnd goes to the Alt bracket or block.mOne of them may even have an internal break...may be a good idea to just go ahead and replace them. Have you checked the alternator output?

Last edited:

KRE8S4U

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Check the cables, make sur the connections are clean and tight. Batt positive goes down to the starter, gnd goes to the Alt bracket or block.mOne of them may even have an internal break...may be a good idea to just go ahead and replace them. Have you checked the alternator output?

Thank you, we've checked the cables but they look tight, may go ahead and replace them just to weed that out of the equation......O'rielly's tested the alternator and said it was fine.....I'll check again since the battery is now new and see....thanks again

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Thank you, we've checked the cables but they look tight, may go ahead and replace them just to weed that out of the equation......O'rielly's tested the alternator and said it was fine.....I'll check again since the battery is now new and see....thanks again

Sure thing! FYI, I have had really good luck with the AutoZone yeller top batteries.

84 grimm reaper

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
it sounds like your alternator is charging the battery. have that replaced.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I like the idea of checking the cables over. The connections may be tight but you could have a corrosion break somewhere in the length of the cable. You'll read full voltage but you won't be able to deliver the amperage.

KRE8S4U

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
well over the weekend, we double checked cables on starter, they are all tight, we replaced both the battery cables and terminals and all started great until 6am this morning when time to leave.........thing started then just died in the middle of the road.........pretty frustrating :(

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I would check all your fusible links next.

Posted from hell

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammygunns