Electrical Issue in Wife's Car

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Albrigap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Have seen many with a bad ground at the frame/body from the battery.
Especially after using the blower fan/headlights and other heavy electrical loads.
If you have a temp gun, run it over the ground cables after the lights come on.
Any heat means resistance and you want none.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Well it seems like a good place to interject,for everyone just because it's good to know. Learn to do volt drop tests real helpful in solving mystery problems. Example I was working at a dealership in Belton Missouri. A tech had replaced a fuel pump but didn't fix the problem. Fuel pump pigtail would light a test light but couldn't provide the current the pump needed. Yes snoots and Albrigap mentioned using heat to check resistance I do that also in slow crank,no crank situations, but the voltdrop test works in every situation I've ever needed it. But as Snoots and Albrigap mentioned you got a slow crank,no start feel for a hotspot.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It turned out to be the reman'd alt. I replaced reman'd alt #1 that tested with a bad diode with another. Within minutes, the front bearing of alt #2 sounded like Mariah Cary caught in a bear trap. I ordered a new Delco gold - works perfectly - even sounds better. 14.6v at the battery. 14.2v with the headlamps, blower and stereo on.

I'm very into preventative maintenance (on cars, house, self, etc)...breaking things on my terms and timeline. This '03 has 114k on it. Our other one - an '05 has 110k on it, so I'll get one ready to go. New from Subaru they are $546. Fk that. I found the Denso brushes/regulator and rectifier bridge for $50 ea and the front and rear bearings (SKF - Swedish/German made) for $10/ea., so if I dont get another Delco, will do it myself next time.

That '05 still has the factory head gaskets too so will get MLS ones done before its in service again come Spring. AC compressor works on that one too, but clunks when it engages (FL car so AC used alot), so will replace all that when its apart.

Because I can...and dont want to mess with the AC in the middle of July when its guaranteed to fail and everyone be out of stock on the parts. :hat:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigRed82k20