Electric fuel pump suggestions - For Carburetor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So the second cheapo $45 Mr Gasket fuel pump died today on the 86.
It’s a Vortec 454 so no mechanical option. Feeding an Edelbrock 750.
First one looked new when bought the truck. Lasted about 1 tank of gas and died. New one has lasted about 5? tanks of gas and just crapped out today.
It now has another Autozone special pump in it, for now. (at least it’s died within 1/4 mi of autozone both times, lol)
It’s mounted under the hood, front corner not near the exhaust, so heat shouldn’t be the issue, but just read that the little micro pumps don’t like pulling fuel long distances. Don’t really want to relocate it back by the tanks unless I have to, or at least not til I pull the bed off and replace the old fuel hoses, tank switch etc.

Does anyone make a pump that is good for pulling fuel rather than pushing it?
Prefer to keep it under the hood if possible.
Thanks

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I'm not aware of any electric fuel pump that likes pulling. I think a quality pump and mounted close to the tank as possible at or below the fuel pickup (then physics supports the pulling from the tank) could be a solution. In tank fuel pump would be the best as they are cooled from the gas. But they are really expensive. Have friends running holleys and msds with pressure regulators for years w/o problems.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm not aware of any electric fuel pump that likes pulling. I think a quality pump and mounted close to the tank as possible at or below the fuel pickup (then physics supports the pulling from the tank) could be a solution. In tank fuel pump would be the best as they are cooled from the gas. But they are really expensive. Have friends running holleys and msds with pressure regulators for years w/o problems.
Thank you, I haven’t found one either. Worth a shot though.
It’s always a crap shoot buying someone else’s project and while this is a nice truck, the previous owner who did most of the work to it was pretty much a low budget Joe without alot of knowledge or desire to repair/ build things the proper way. Fortunately, his work stopped at a relatively easy engine transplant, a lift kit and what appears to be multiple cans of spray paint applied multiple times. Although I think he forgot to take his finger off the spray button about 23 separate times!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
He is being truthful, pretty sure the instructions would say to mount it so it pushes, not pulls. Try a pump from Napa or Carquest.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I figured you for a guy who likes it straight, champ.

Ya, well I figgered that many of you spend way more time on old vehicles than I’m able to and since the last time I worked on a square body or much of anything with a carb was when they weren’t even close to considered classics yet, that maybe, just maybe, some enterprising company in this 21st century of technology and greatness actually developed a fuel pump that could keep up with a $25 mechanical pump.

My bad.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Ya, well I figgered that many of you spend way more time on old vehicles than I’m able to and since the last time I worked on a square body or much of anything with a carb was when they weren’t even close to considered classics yet, that maybe, just maybe, some enterprising company in this 21st century of technology and greatness actually developed a fuel pump that could keep up with a $25 mechanical pump.

My bad.
I believe that have but you still need to install it where and how they want you to if you expect it to last.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
He is being truthful, pretty sure the instructions would say to mount it so it pushes, not pulls. Try a pump from Napa or Carquest.

No, I understand that fully.
It’s just not time to fix this truck properly yet. Based on my above post I just thought, you know, since I literally have a 26,000psi fuel pump in my truck that can pull heating oil from 15’ away, uphill and then compress it to ungodly pressures, that maybe, just maybe there was a viable replacement for a what? Almost 100 year old fuel pump design.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Chip. No worries bud. Just trying to throw dollars where I don’t have hours.
They do make low pressure lift pumps for older diesels. Maybe I’ll look that direction.
Everything under the truck is hard lined and unmolested and working great still. I would be a cob job to move a pump back there in a quick replacement.
Appreciate the responses

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size

My bad.

GM did, '87+ tank with a pump inside. You can patch it or you can fix it.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^Yup two pumps, 2 relays, difficult wiring to hot or not dual tank signal voltage. Regulator, etc etc.
it’s 100% able to be fixed properly with an external pump at far less cost and headache than in tank conversions.
Th ask for the suggestion though.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Haha, right?
To be clear I didn’t do the original retrofit and know that it’s a janky setup.
Just looking for a workable interim setup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224