Fuel pump working but no gas to the carburetor maybe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevy76jenn

Reaction score
First Name
Jennica
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.6L 400sbc
Hi so I'm new to this site also this is the first vehicle I have ever worked on so please forgive my ignorance. So I have a 76 k10 with a 400 and it has been sitting for awhile now prior to this it ran fine. There is a very long back story but I'm gonna skip it and just jump to the issue. Ok so I have not been able to get it started I replaced the starter, alternator, fuel pump, spark plugs and wires, distributor cap, rotor, coil, and control module. I also rebuilt the carburetor. I am getting spark and the fuel pump is working but I can't seem to get it started. If I put a little gas in the carburetor it wants to start but dies right away. I'm not sure what to do now and I don't have anyone to ask or help me. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Johninbc

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
How do you decide the fuel pump is working? Is it actually pumping fuel to somewhere or just making a noise. Do you have an inline filter somewhere and is it maybe plugged, or how about a plugged inlet filter at the carb. If you are getting good flow and pressure to the carb, is it possible that the float or inlet needle is stuck closed?

chevy76jenn

Reaction score
First Name
Jennica
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.6L 400sbc
On the fuel pump I read to disconnect it from the carburetor and to put the hose into a bottle I put it in the gas can and to turn the engine over a few times and then check to see if there was gas is that wrong? I just put a brand new inline filter on. There is no other fuel filter other then that one. By needle do you mean the one with the float? And if I take the carburetor off what should I look for to know if that was the problem? Sorry like I said I'm just learning all this.

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
is the fuel pump still mechanical or was it removed and an electric pump installed?
sounds like you checked it correctly though by using it to pump into a catch vessel.

filters are 'inline' by definition :) so is your filter in question a filter in the middle of a fuel hose or are we talking about the filter that fits in a quadrajet fuel inlet?

'monkey

chevy76jenn

Reaction score
First Name
Jennica
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.6L 400sbc
So the fuel pump is mechanical. As for the filter it had one in the carburetor but I took that one out and put one in the middle of the hose.

Grumpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If your fuel pump is indeed working, remove the fuel cap(s) and try again.
Then verify fuel flow past the fuel selector valve.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
If you pulled the line at the carburetor and cranked and got fuel in a bottle the problem is not with fuel delivery as in cap lines selector valve etc. Engine not running hold the choke open and snap the throttle open and shut a couple of times while looking down the carb to see if the carburetor has accelerator pump shot. No shot but fuel getting to the inlet? The problem is in the carb. You have pump shot but the engine won't run. Disconnect the fuel line and pump some gas into a bottle,clear plastic or glass.Smell the fuel look at the fuel carefully,is there water in it? trash in it?does it smell like varnish. I say this because you said the truck has been sitting,but you said nothing about draining the fuel and using fresh fuel. Your problem maybe nothing except bad fuel.Post back after you've checked the fuel.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
@AyWoSch Motors.

Ayden, isn't Rio Rancho in your neck of the woods?

Jenn, Welcome to the forum from N. Texas!!

You must be registered for see images attach

You've found the right group of folks to get your truck working in top shape.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8