electric choke?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jason81k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
So I've looked around and can't get a good answer so maybe one of you guys have done it and can help...my quadrajet has this electric choke with one connector but there's no wire anywhere for it so where should I run the wire to so it'll work? Or just junk it and get a manual choke?

Attachments

• IMG_20131115_115521_072.jpg
    IMG_20131115_115521_072.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 134

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Look for a purple wire that has a funky looking terminal connector on the end.

You must be registered for see images attach

It will originate at the oil pressure switch.

Thats the one with two connections, not the bell shaped one that has only a single stab (that one is a sender and provides a variable resistance that drives your dash oil pressure gauge.

The one that powers the choke heater is a simple on/off switch that closes as soon as engine oil pressure reaches 10 psi (basically immediately). That 12 volts heats up the coil inside the choke heater and make it open as quickly as possible.

Don't be mislead by the 3 wires shown in the pictures, 2 of them are spliced together within the plug body. I am sick of typing - you'll figure it out.

Be aware that, on these trucks, if you see a choke light on your dash while the engine is running it can mean that you have lost oil pressure (or at least droppede below 10 psi)

jason81k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I'll have to find that switch then the wires probably cut somewhere thanks!

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You can also run a wire to it. It needs to come from a 12 volt source that is switched on with the key switch.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Your intake has a divorced, air type choke heater. If that is the original manifold I wouldn't look to hard or that purple wire - the carb was probably an upgrade and the truck didn't come wired for an electric choke.

Look behind the distributor (LH - drivers side) for the switch. It has a big snap enclosure type connector.

jason81k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Your intake has a divorced, air type choke heater. If that is the original manifold I wouldn't look to hard or that purple wire - the carb was probably an upgrade and the truck didn't come wired for an electric choke.

Look behind the distributor (LH - drivers side) for the switch. It has a big snap enclosure type connector.

And then just run a wire to the switch? Or it may not be the same since it didn't have an electric choke I'll take a gander at it tomorrow

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Yeah, you can use any 12 volt source on the IGN bank of the fuse panel.

The choke heater is energized (as designed) virtually whenever the key is in the "RUN" position.

The only time it isn't getting juice, is the couple of seconds when you first start the engine. Basically, however long it takes for the oil pressure to hit 10 psi; that's the only time it isn't hot through the oil pressure switch.

Oh yeah, if you lose your oil pressure while running- it is denergized then as well. Course that would probably be the least of your worries.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Ignore my advice to look for a purple wire - I am color blind (for real) and so should not be trusted when describing the colors of wires.

I was just looking at a schematic on a different matter and happened to notice that it is actually light blue. Sorry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000