Edelbrock 1406 failed emissions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
It's not the worst I've ever seen but I'm sure your idle air circuits weren't happy. The discoloration may actually be from ethanol-based gasoline dissolving any rubber fuel lines you may have in your fuel system. It looks more black than white/chalky.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
My kit came with a new accelerator pump, the spring looks a lot beefier. I also got 2 sets of needles and seats, the regular ones and the off-road spring loaded ones. Has anybody installed the off-road kit? and if so, what are the pros and cons with installing them, instead of the regular ones?
You must be registered for see images attach

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I rebuilt my carb, re-jetted to 95 primaries, 92 secondary, I left the original 7547 metering rods in, used the orange step-up springs, added a 1" phenolic spacer, and it passed emissions with no problems. No more running rich at all. Crisp throttle response, and took it for a 120 mile drive, and I believe my MPG went up from 9 to 15-16 on the freeway. I should have done this work 4 years ago. I can really feel a difference with that phenolic spacer, starts right up every time. Before I had some really hard starts after I killed the engine when hot, then tried to start it again.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Woot!

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Excellent. So leaning it out just a bit (98 to 95 primaries; 95 to 92 secondaries), cleaning it out, and a new accelerator pump and floats did the trick. Oh, and toss in the phenolic spacer to keep the carb from overheating and simplify starting when hot.

You might get even better mileage jumping the step-up springs from orange (5") to plain (8"). Easy thing to try.

Nice. Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Just want to give a big Thank you to Rich and everyone who helped me out, and Georgeb for the panic attack. But like they say, "what doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger".
Here some before and after pics.

After re-jetting, cleaning and rebuild, my truck runs and drives extremely smooth and well. Even with the ac on at stop lights , I have no more erratic engine vibrations I had before. Hell, I think it runs better than the TBI I have in my 90.

Last edited:

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Outstanding!

Now, move your vacuum advance line over to the other side of the carb where it belongs.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Outstanding!

Now, move your vacuum advance line over to the other side of the carb where it belongs.

Wow, that I didnt know about. I always thought vaccum advance required ported vaccum. I have my vaccum solenoid for my lockup on the manifold vac side of the carb. Can i put a T fitting on there, and run both?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Just want to give a big Thank you to Rich and everyone who helped me out, and Georgeb for the panic attack. But like they say, "what doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger".
Here some before and after pics.

After re-jetting, cleaning and rebuild, my truck runs and drives extremely smooth and well. Even with the ac on at stop lights , I have no more erratic engine vibrations I had before. Hell, I think it runs better than the TBI I have in my 90.

Good to hear! Sorry for the panic attack. Glad you have it running well.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Wow, that I didnt know about. I always thought vaccum advance required ported vaccum. I have my vaccum solenoid for my lockup on the manifold vac side of the carb. Can i put a T fitting on there, and run both?

Yes, you can tee the lines.

Read this post on another forum:
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32085.0

Read this post, too, but especially note the highlighted areas in the diagram:
http://chevellestuff.net/tech/articles/vacuum/port_or_manifold.htm

Ported vacuum is pollution stuff. I'm old enough to remember the switch.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Yes, you can tee the lines.

Read this post on another forum:
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32085.0

Read this post, too, but especially note the highlighted areas in the diagram:
http://chevellestuff.net/tech/articles/vacuum/port_or_manifold.htm

Ported vacuum is pollution stuff. I'm old enough to remember the switch.

Rich, I tee'd off the manifold port, plugged in my vaccum advance to it, capped off the ported vaccum port on the carb. It runs great, smoother idle, better response etc. But now I lost torque converter lock-up. I put it back how it was, and I have lock-up again. I don't see why it would do that. Got any suggestions?

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hanging the vacuum can off the same line puts a capacitance on that line and smooths the transitions. Which apparently is affecting the lockup.

You need a higher capacity port for the lockup, or a different port for the vac advance.

What other vacuum connections do you have? For example on the back of the manifold.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You can probably run the lockup off the ported vacuum. You might give that a try.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
You can probably run the lockup off the ported vacuum. You might give that a try.

I'm running an edelbrock performer, I believe there's a port right behind the carb. just gotta get a fitting for it.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Ever since finishing the EDDY 1406 re-build, I noticed I had an off idle hesitation. So I started experimenting with the accelerator pump, tried all three settings, and it still had the hesitation. Then I experimented with different step up springs for the last week or so. My hesitation went away after I put in the 8hg springs, and the accelerator pump at its highest setting. Its running extremely well. I'm loving the gas mileage increase with the new jets. I drove to Phoenix and back to Tucson on a little over half a tank of fuel, the last time I did that before the tuning, I went through both tanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheify