Dual tank upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saltershawn74

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a 78 K20 project truck that I want to put dual tanks from my parts truck on. My project truck only has a 3/8 fuel line but the parts truck has a return and vent line as well. Do I need the return and vent line?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
It depends on the fuel pump and sending units, and the tank venting. - - Return lines and 3 port fuel pumps and sending units were added by GM in later years because they help cool the fuel in hot weather and prevent vapor lock. The fuel returning to the tank cools down instead of just dead-heading at the pump, where it is close to the exhaust manifold heat.
- The vent line and vapor canister were added when they stopped using vented gas caps. The vapor line and canister should prevent any fuel smell from coming into the cab.

saltershawn74

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So I should replace the fuel pump with one that has a return line port and adding a canister for a vent. Where does the venting canister typically go?

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
Where does the venting canister typically go?
The vapor canister is typically mounted on the driver's side of the engine compartment. In front of the wheel well and behind the core support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MIDWESTCUSTOMS