Dual tank rust question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Im back to ask ya'll for help. I had a gas leak that i figured out was a fuel line when i pulled the tank. After i pulled the tank i realized i had pretty bad rust under the straps. Im lookin at buying a new tank and probably 2 once i check the other and its rusted to.
My questions are both tanks on dual tank models the same(part numbers) and what should i use between the new tank straps and the new tank as a pad. Also if i buy a new tank is the exterior coated or should i paint it.(buyin from rockauto)
Thanks for any replies

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Im back to ask ya'll for help. I had a gas leak that i figured out was a fuel line when i pulled the tank. After i pulled the tank i realized i had pretty bad rust under the straps. Im lookin at buying a new tank and probably 2 once i check the other and its rusted to.
My questions are both tanks on dual tank models the same(part numbers) and what should i use between the new tank straps and the new tank as a pad. Also if i buy a new tank is the exterior coated or should i paint it.(buyin from rockauto)
Thanks for any replies
Well, they're the same tank for the right and left side, but the short bed tank is 16 gallons and the long bed tank is 20 gallons. A 16 gallon tank will work on a long bed, but not vice versa. I know some people put the smaller ones, but I'd want the extra capacity. I would use something thin and fibrous as close to the original stuff as you can readily find. Maybe something like this and trim it to fit.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/UltraTou...clsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIXtkNCex9YCFQE4TwodONEG2w#

As far as the new RockAuto tank goes, I installed one a few months ago, it came coated and ready to go.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I used the silver bubble wrap insulation on mine. I had some laying around. Seen mention of roofing paper as well.

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks ill give that homedepot stuff a shot.

JD1973

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy 1/2 stepside
Engine Size
if the home depot stuff doesnt work, go to LMCtruck.com. they have everything yo will need

Azathoth

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and there was only one VanHalen, most people cut up old inner tubes for this.
Wish you were closer, I'm swapping my 16 gal for fuel injection tanks.

scwaters

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sunny
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Shortbed 4x4
Engine Size
I have a 1976 short bed that has a switch in the cab for dual tanks but only one tank on the driver side. Can anyone tell me if I want to install the tank on the passenger side is it the 16 or the can I fit the 20. The passenger side of the truck does not have a filler door. Which is easier replacing the entire bedside or cutting the door out A junker and welding it in to the existing passenger side?

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I wanted to follow this post up and thank you guys for your help. New tanks are in :). I ended up finding this rubber trim for the tank pads in the flooring dept. I ended up having to fix some of my my tank strap brackets as they were too rusty to salvage the spot where the strap bolts on. I will link photos of how i did that in case someone needs to do the same.

You must be registered for see images attach

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy