DTR Epoxy Primer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Anyone used the direct to rust epoxy primers? My cab is blasted clean - was coated in zinc phosphate to avoid rust over the winter. Epoxy primer doesn't like zinc so its gotta come off. Pressure washing will do it - I figured with it and a compressor to blow out all the nooks and crannies from water, I might still could get some flash rusting in difficult to get to places (so I am NOT talking heavy or scaling rust). Considered using the DTR stuff just for the initial covering.

Thx.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Isn’t that basically the definition of the primary use for epoxy primers? Bare metal?
I’m no expert. I just used the same DTM filler primer for everything from covering up bare metal to filler primer to sealer. Also not a concours paint job on our truck.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think Tamco makes a DTR, DTM and DTA primer.....metal, rust and 'anything'. No idea the differences and no one around here (auto paint stores) either sells or even recommends anything like it.

Just trying to find a good base to get started with.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Not familiar with DTR.

I use DP PPG todays cost will shock you, it did me. Can be used as a sealer before color or over bare metal.

$429 gallon, mostly only sold in gallons now.

$202 per qt of hardener.

With name brand products really doubt a complete on a SB could be done for less than 4k, just materials.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I haven't used it on blasted steel yet but I have been washing bare steel with "Krud Kutter" Metal etch and clean. It actually starts rusting the steel but not the same as just natural rust, hard to explain. It will turn steel a blueish color.

Perhaps you could do the final rinse with an alcohol/water solution, the alcohol will prompt the water to flash off and dry faster. Especially if using compressed air or a leaf blower to speed things up.

You could also DA the big exterior panels if they start to flash rust, it would defiantly cost you some time though.

Whatever you do I would be prepared to epoxy as soon as possible after it dries.

ETA:
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-c...rud-kutter/rust-remedies/metal-clean-and-etch

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I haven't used it on blasted steel yet but I have been washing bare steel with "Krud Kutter" Metal etch and clean. It actually starts rusting the steel but not the same as just natural rust, hard to explain. It will turn steel a blueish color.

Perhaps you could do the final rinse with an alcohol/water solution, the alcohol will prompt the water to flash off and dry faster. Especially if using compressed air or a leaf blower to speed things up.

You could also DA the big exterior panels if they start to flash rust, it would defiantly cost you some time though.

Whatever you do I would be prepared to epoxy as soon as possible after it dries.

ETA:
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-c...rud-kutter/rust-remedies/metal-clean-and-etch
Looked up the Krud Kutter metal etch - has phosphoric acid in it so dont think it will work with epoxy primer (thats the issue I currently have with the zinc phosphate thats on it now).

The guy who blasted it for me offered to go over it again for $50. Cant beat it (he does an excellent job) but just getting the cab to him (30 min drive towed behind a small SUV) is a real circus production in and of itself. Power washing and sealing it here would be much more therapeutic to me. I have been told that just hot water will remove the zinc phosphate. Dunno.

Might call Eastwood again....iirc they're the ones that told me about the hot water and a DTR epoxy primer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jakebr8k