Epoxy Primer Prep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Was wondering what you fellas used to clean bare metal before epoxy primer? I know epoxy is picky. I sprayed zinc-phosphate on bare metal as a get-by but will have to remove it before the epoxy primer.

The zinc comes off with water but I'd like to wipe it down with something else - have heard of some using isopropyl. Dunno. Figured some of you fellas used the epoxy primer and had to prep it. What did you use?

THX

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I like all of these... Soap and water works, wax & grease remover is good. Since yours has been blasted it will flash rust if you hose it off, when using water making sure it has time to flash off and dry up really well before painting. I'd imagine the surface profile from the blasting is probably good enough for adhesion.

I've been using the Summit brand epoxy and it seems to stick to everything

ETA: When I Epoxied the bottom of my cab after blasting It was really clean from the blasting and there was a few spots that looked like they might have some oil creeping out of seams. I blasted those spots with brake cleaner and dried them up with a clean towel right before epoxy.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a gallon of epoxy primer but picked up 4 rattle cans of Eastwood's 2K epoxy primer - just to get at least the bottom of the cab primered and undercoated without having to mix up anything and make a mess. There is little to no data on the stuff (flash times, etc) so I called Eastwood. They didn't like the zinc wash I had on it - which I knew was an iffy thing with epoxies (and it wasn't their brand either - lol). Suggested I sand and rinse it both. Have read of very bad things happening when spraying a sealer over any conversion chemical. POR 15 (which makes the zinc wash) says it comes off with just hot water. I'll have compressed air on hand to wash and blow it out real good. Figured I would wipe it down with a wax/grease remover before immediately getting it into primer. Gotta have a full day for that.

Its UFB how fast the weather changed here - typical Ohiostan. Running out of days. Just trying to get the thing primered, body work (other than the roof its very minimal), then sanded and blocked. Would love color/clear on at least the interior, firewall and door jambs so I can get the cab on the frame and work on it over the absurdly long winters here.

Its been 30yrs since I last painted a car....imron and a siphon feed gun. Things have changed so am adapting as I go - in a hurry - and with no room for error. :(

Last edited:

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Nothing wrong with siphon feed especially for your epoxy and surfacer. I use grandpa's old Binks Model 7 that was in his body shop when it burned down for everything except color & clear.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Have done a lot of painting using a syphon gun for both color and clear. Have 2 guns with different jets. Clear needs more volume. Tired a HVLP gun once, didn't like it. Am sure if I took the time could learn how to use one. Can't justify the cost of a decent gun or 2. Don't paint except for an occasional project of my own.

Have used Imron. It is nasty stuff. Probably why it is no longer made.

Use a 2-part product like DP 40 it is bullet proof and take a big pile of cash. Paint is horribly expensive today. Remember DP can only be recoated with DP after a week so plan accordingly.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I have a gallon of epoxy primer but picked up 4 rattle cans of Eastwood's 2K epoxy primer - just to get at least the bottom of the cab primered and undercoated without having to mix up anything and make a mess. There is little to no data on the stuff (flash times, etc) so I called Eastwood. They didn't like the zinc wash I had on it - which I knew was an iffy thing with epoxies (and it wasn't their brand either - lol). Suggested I sand and rinse it both. Have read of very bad things happening when spraying a sealer over any conversion chemical. POR 15 (which makes the zinc wash) says it comes off with just hot water. I'll have compressed air on hand to wash and blow it out real good. Figured I would wipe it down with a wax/grease remover before immediately getting it into primer. Gotta have a full day for that.

Its UFB how fast the weather changed here - typical Ohiostan. Running out of days. Just trying to get the thing primered, body work (other than the roof its very minimal), then sanded and blocked. Would love color/clear on at least the interior, firewall and door jambs so I can get the cab on the frame and work on it over the absurdly long winters here.

Its been 30yrs since I last painted a car....imron and a siphon feed gun. Things have changed so am adapting as I go - in a hurry - and with no room for error. :(
You got this Chris!
You must be registered for see images attach

Wolverine

Reaction score
First Name
C.A.
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size

Kleen Strip Metal Prep ( I used the Eastwood Epoxy Primer too)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54