Desperately Need Help! Extreme coolant leak!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

emtrichel

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If you check the oil when the engine is cold and it looks empty, or as others have said, the wrong dipstick, but most likely it's because it's near empty if not empty. Change the oil and the filter if you haven't seized the engine by now. Should take 5 quarts. This summer heat is brutal on engines, take care of the oil situation now.

What weight oil? Will the 350 take synthetic if they make it for the correct weight?

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Yes, go get 5 quarts(if you get the big jug make sure it's 5 quarts and not a gallon jug)a filter and an oil drain pan. Drain plug is 1/2" I believe. DO NOT over tighten the drain plug when reinstalling or you will strip it out and I don't want to hear about that happening.

10w30. It's a sbc. Any oil.

Synthetic will make the leaks worse.

Can O' worms with the kind and weight of oil. User preference. I go conventional, but I burn gas and oil...

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
What weight oil? Will the 350 take synthetic if they make it for the correct weight?

Most likely 10w-30. Don't do synthetic. Change the filter too. Get some pcv valve(s) while you're at the parts house and replace those while you're at it. Can change the pcv valve(s) while the oil is draining. If you haven't already, get an air filter too. Let the engine breathe and spin on some fresh oil.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Oil change is for sure going to happen!

So it should only take 5 qts?
Typically 5 quarts. Unless it's got an oil cooler, or bigger oil pan. If it has the owner's manual in the glove box, look in there.

emtrichel

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Most likely 10w-30. Don't do synthetic. Change the filter too. Get some pcv valve(s) while you're at the parts house and replace those while you're at it. Can change the pcv valve(s) while the oil is draining. If you haven't already, get an air filter too. Let the engine breathe and spin on some fresh oil.

PCV valve? Can you elaborate on that some?

emtrichel

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Another somewhat unrelated question. What’s the best way to clean up the engine bay if I’m not sure if there’s any open electrical connections or hoses.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Another somewhat unrelated question. What’s the best way to clean up the engine bay if I’m not sure if there’s any open electrical connections or hoses.

Degreaser, and water. Done it a million times with no I'll effects.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Degreaser, and water. Done it a million times with no I'll effects.
Please do not suggest hosing down his engine bay. Anything more than a damp rag with some cleaner is too much at the moment. He's checking his oil with the trans fluid dipstick for christ sake.

Well there's another missing bolt - was only two on P/S when I pulled it off.. dude who had this truck before me really didn't care about it. I'm learning that with every minute under the hood.
May not be the case. As someone dealing with a sever dementia family member rhyme and reason are out the door. Rational ideas cannot be expressed or comprehended. Apparently you see a bolt or screw and you remove it. Don't forget to lose it forever. You see something that holds liquid and you fill it with whatever liquid you happen to have at arms reach no matter what it is. Don't forget to over fill it while you're at it. If someone really didn't care about it would be simply parked and forgotten.

emtrichel

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Please do not suggest hosing down his engine bay. Anything more than a damp rag with some cleaner is too much at the moment. He's checking his oil with the trans fluid dipstick for christ sake.

May not be the case. As someone dealing with a sever dementia family member rhyme and reason are out the door. Rational ideas cannot be expressed or comprehended. Apparently you see a bolt or screw and you remove it. Don't forget to lose it forever. You see something that holds liquid and you fill it with whatever liquid you happen to have at arms reach no matter what it is. Don't forget to over fill it while you're at it. If someone really didn't care about it would be simply parked and forgotten.

Hadn’t thought of it that way, you have a good point. May have gotten halfway through replacing it and got rid of the truck forgetting about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade