Dang fuel mileage!! (Insert sarcasm font)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Why won't my fuel gauge go down? Lowzy truck seems to be making gas right now and I am not babying it. Back in June I wanted to take the truck camping for a few reasons, 1) to see what the mpg is with the vortecs on the open road (hopefully better than the 8 mpg it got before); 2) to blow out the gas that was smelling like turpentine; 3) to carry more gear for the trip.

As you know, it broke down an hour from home, and I have now fixed it.

Before leaving in June I topped off each tank, and I mean "topped" them off with 91 octane to make sure I got maximum distance per tank. I always run 91 octane. The right side tank was mostly full when we started out and was already smelling like the gas was bad. When I disconnected the battery to replace the rockers, the tanks must have equalized, because both read full when I started driving it again. I have been driving it for 5 days now on surface streets, driving out of my way when I go places to make the distance longer for more fuel burn, and the right tank is only 3/4 full, while the left is full. My cherokee and forester burn about 1/4 tank in 5 days of driving on surface streets.

I am not complaining that it is getting such good mileage. I am being more sarcastic than anything. I want that old gas out of there and the truck seems to be liking the bad gas...lol...must be Murphy's Law right now...lol... I guess I need to take a road trip this weekend to burn both tanks.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
Don't worry, it won't last. The gauge seems to hang out at or slightly over full for a long time and then suddenly drops like a rock. I rarely fill mine completely since it sits most of the time and only gets driven 20 or so miles a weekend. Well a few weeks ago I had to make a longer trip and filled it up. I thought I'd broken the sender since it didn't move at all over the long 4th of July weekend. It didn't last, it seemed like it dropped down to 3/4 once it started moving.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
True. I am enjoying the good mileage, just needing to burn the fuel before it turns more bad than it already has, and to run some Berryman's B12 on this upcoming road trip to help de-gum the fuel system as I drive, or use motor - purr instead if I can find some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85