Daily Drag Racer times

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Of course you can BUILD a motor to run high rpms but, this is a DAILY DRIVER THREAD. Something you drive back and forth to work and drive mostly every where. Which means they're mostly stock. That's what makes it fun to see what every day run of the mill cars run. We could always start another thread that has built motor times in it. That would be cool too.

I doubt that you would run your Honda or Toyota or whatever stock car you drive daily up to 7000 rpm. That's the point I was trying to make. You have to have a cam that's still pulling at that rpm or it's just unnecessary to Rev it that high. Or maybe I'm just a pu$$y that doesn't want to Rev his motor that high. Lol
I know what you mean, but Honda was a poor example. They make ALLLL their power WAYYY up top, there is no torque down low the only power they make is high revving hp (and not a ton). That's why dudes in civics are always bouncig off the redline. Even my daily beater, I shift at basically 7k rpm every time (unless I'm around town, and even then, unless you're in an area where cops hang out otherwise why not? I might wind it the hell out in 1st or 2nd then shift straight to 4th or 5th to cruise when I get up to speed, those little engines can take it.) I know all the shift points and usually wring it within one ot two mph of hitting the limiter (which is a hair past redline).

Also, the daily driver being stock thing... idk about that either man. Before I bought the Civic my daily was my Legacy. I was running it 90+ hp over stock, roughly 340 at the crank. It's off the road because at over 200k I finally bent a valve and lost compression due to a poorly engineered cooling system/oil flow that caused the driver's side bank to run hotter than the passenger's side head. Once I put it back together it will have between 400-450hp in a little 4banger car that only came factory with 250. There are people with far crazier setups than me who daily them. Mine still rides smooth (slightly stiffer springs but stock shocks, no poly bushings, etc), street tires, full cloth interior with a/c (not even all full of gauges and switches and stuff, just one aftermarket analog boost gauge on the a pillar and it matches the factory gauges pretty close to boot), not too loud, gotta run 93 but not race gas or anything, etc. No reason you can't daily a fast car. If I didn't pop the hood you would have no idea it wasn't bone stock, maybe think someone slapped a catback on it or something. As much as I love American cars, yeah J@p cars are a different game entirely.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I'm about done building my 79's rear end, following that, I'll be focusing on tagging and insuring it and getting it street legal.....

At that point it becomes a DD lmao

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I know what you mean, but Honda was a poor example. They make ALLLL their power WAYYY up top, there is no torque down low the only power they make is high revving hp (and not a ton). That's why dudes in civics are always bouncig off the redline. Even my daily beater, I shift at basically 7k rpm every time (unless I'm around town, and even then, unless you're in an area where cops hang out otherwise why not? I might wind it the hell out in 1st or 2nd then shift straight to 4th or 5th to cruise when I get up to speed, those little engines can take it.) I know all the shift points and usually wring it within one ot two mph of hitting the limiter (which is a hair past redline).

Also, the daily driver being stock thing... idk about that either man. Before I bought the Civic my daily was my Legacy. I was running it 90+ hp over stock, roughly 340 at the crank. It's off the road because at over 200k I finally bent a valve and lost compression due to a poorly engineered cooling system/oil flow that caused the driver's side bank to run hotter than the passenger's side head. Once I put it back together it will have between 400-450hp in a little 4banger car that only came factory with 250. There are people with far crazier setups than me who daily them. Mine still rides smooth (slightly stiffer springs but stock shocks, no poly bushings, etc), street tires, full cloth interior with a/c (not even all full of gauges and switches and stuff, just one aftermarket analog boost gauge on the a pillar and it matches the factory gauges pretty close to boot), not too loud, gotta run 93 but not race gas or anything, etc. No reason you can't daily a fast car. If I didn't pop the hood you would have no idea it wasn't bone stock, maybe think someone slapped a catback on it or something. As much as I love American cars, yeah J@p cars are a different game entirely.

Yeah I thought about that after I posted it. Smaller engines can run higher rpms with ease. My 2015 Camaro v6 starts to redline at 7k. I don't run it up there a lot tho because a woman was the po. Idk how she drove it but doubt it was balls to the wall for 32,000 miles that were on it. So if I get in and run the $HIT out of it, I think I'll start having problems. Imo it's how the motor was broke in.

I was always told when breaking in rings on a dirt bike you run a tank of gas thru it not really hitting the powerband if it's a 2 stroke. Then at 19 I got a job at Texas Yamaha. The head mechanic was getting a new yz250 ready for a customer. He fired it up and reved the fck out of it. Lol

I then asked him about this and told him what I'd always heard. He said no you have to seat the rings like you're gonna drive it. Because they will leave a tiny lip on the cylinders at the very top of the stroke. So if the lip is lower when you set the rings than how you daily drive it, then when you run it at higher rpms than seated at you'll start having problems.

That being said I let my camaro shift automatically when I posted the times on here and it shifted at about 6800. I felt that was a little bit more than it should be. Not because it was hurting the motor but I think if I shifted a little bit sooner it would still be in the powerband so to speak. I wanna try again shifting it with the paddles to see if I can see a difference in time.

As soon as I get my new 700r4 in my truck I'll be dd it a lot more. It's not stock either. 454 with rv cam, hedders and intake. But I won't be running it up to 7k. Lol

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I'm still wondering why we're hung up on 7,000 rpms

There's motors that run 11,000 rpms

I have a friend with a pro street, LS7 454 powered oldsmobile

It hits 2nd gear at 7500

This is nothing new
I've hit 7k on the 350 vortec in the 3500.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Gotta 2017 Colorado 3.6 V6, when you stand on it to pass or just get outa somebodies way, it will run up to 6900-7000 on the tach! Haven't hurt it yet. Kooper's S10 will hit 7000 pretty easy, especially when you miss a shift with the crap GM console shifter. It's a .030 over 327,700R4, and 3.73 gears, I've done it a couple of times and I'm SURE he's done it once or twice.....and @82sbshortbed that's always how I've broke them in..... you drive like you stole it, get the broken sh!t out of the way early!!!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I have a 93 ford festiva with a mazda b6 engine swap it does 15s 90mph 37 mpg and it's terrifying to be in past 80mph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knep115