Custom Autosound.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMT830

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Suburban
Engine Size
So I just got my new to me C!0 complete with the Sweet Sweet tunes generated out of the pyramid head unit and factory speakers. To tell the truth I did not want to cut the dash on this thing because its original. Currently I'm thinking otherwise. I picked up the latest and greatest USA-630 duel shaft radio from custom autosound. Craigslist I love you. The radio has a ford sticker on it but the dimensions are the same for any duel shaft radio. My fist impression was this radio is a feather weight. There literally is no weight to it. It does offer Bluetooth. If I dump another 100 on the separate module it takes for the radio to do that. I can buy a pioneer at Wallmart with everything fully integrated If I want to cut the dash. This Custom Autosound does have it pro's but only not to cut the dash. Imma cut this dash and gauge bezel. If anybody is interested in my custom autosound duel shaft unit let me know. I paid 100 and I'll do 100+ shipping to get my money back. Still has the protective plastic on the face and you can get correct knobs from custom autosound.

Thanks for entertaining my rant

Attachments

• IMG_0190.jpg
    IMG_0190.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0192.jpg
    IMG_0192.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

John Nes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1987, 1979, 1973
Truck Model
R10, Sierra, C20
Engine Size
5.7 350tbi , 5.7 350, 5.7 350
Dude. You’re going to hack up an uncut dash in order to fit a walmart pioneer head unit ? That’s the dumbest thing I’ve heard all week.

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
So I just got my new to me C!0 complete with the Sweet Sweet tunes generated out of the pyramid head unit and factory speakers. To tell the truth I did not want to cut the dash on this thing because its original. Currently I'm thinking otherwise. I picked up the latest and greatest USA-630 duel shaft radio from custom autosound. Craigslist I love you. The radio has a ford sticker on it but the dimensions are the same for any duel shaft radio. My fist impression was this radio is a feather weight. There literally is no weight to it. It does offer Bluetooth. If I dump another 100 on the separate module it takes for the radio to do that. I can buy a pioneer at Wallmart with everything fully integrated If I want to cut the dash. This Custom Autosound does have it pro's but only not to cut the dash. Imma cut this dash and gauge bezel. If anybody is interested in my custom autosound duel shaft unit let me know. I paid 100 and I'll do 100+ shipping to get my money back. Still has the protective plastic on the face and you can get correct knobs from custom autosound.

Thanks for entertaining my rant
So did you do it? How did it come out? Are you happy with it?

Others may do way more, but at the end of the day, you paid for it and its your's.
So as long as you are happy, that is the important part.

GMT830

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Suburban
Engine Size
I did a deep dive on the custom auto sound. The performance is like from 2005. I mean that if I add the extra 100.00 bluetooth module (i dont have that). It will announce calls but I have to reach down and toggle the controls to take the call. After the call is complete I have to toggle the controls again to return to what I was listening to. The controls are comprised of the buttons on the front that mimic station presets. The radio itself has no weight to it. I really am glade I bought it from the previous owner who immediately ditched it out of his 63 Galaxie. I save a bunch buying used but i really need a more user friendly layout as this sits on the lower right side of the dash and is primarily blocked by my knee.
It would be a great fix for a 50's-60's car with the radio located below the dash pad. I'm sure that is what its designed to accomplish. I dont like the fact that its sourced from china with a USA made sticker on it.

GMT830

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Suburban
Engine Size
Dude. You’re going to hack up an uncut dash in order to fit a walmart pioneer head unit ? That’s the dumbest thing I’ve heard all week.
May not be the smartest thing for you, but then again you don't own my truck nor have to drive it everyday.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Chop away Captain.
Just do it in a way that you can easily restore the hole you make.
Some times we change our minds and have to work extra hard to rectify what we did in haste because it was easier.

Maybe go as far as to cut out the size you need in one piece, that way you can keep it and weld it back in if desired.

My PO hacked our dash, but they did it in a way that the metal is all still there-ish.
Before we put a new radio in there, we will be making the hole much better.
That way the new radio we put in is supported unlike the junk they put into the hole.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I say cut it out and put in what makes you happy. That's what I'm doing and did to my 75 gmc in high school. I always have to have a good sound system in my vehicles. Those old radios just don't do it for me.

John Nes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1987, 1979, 1973
Truck Model
R10, Sierra, C20
Engine Size
5.7 350tbi , 5.7 350, 5.7 350
May not be the smartest thing for you, but then again you don't own my truck nor have to drive it everyday.
Hack away then. if be sure to horizontally notch above n below where the holes are so you can bend the newly formed tabs (with the post holes) back to fit the new head. That way when you decide to go back to the original dash, you can just bend them back into their OG position.
If your dash bezel is intact, I’ll send/trade you a cut up one for your good one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84