Cracked Headers...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eriksg

Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Alrighty, so I was out cleaning off the engine and found that underneath a pretty gnarly layer of grease and grime one of my headers was cracked. It looks to be working, but I still think I need to replace that sucker.
But, my question here, is how do I measure it out to know what new ones I should buy. There are sooo many options for buying new ones, but I'm at a loss for figuring out which ones to get. Anybody got any tips for me?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What part is cracked? The flange? Tube?

eriksg

Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It looks to be on the tube. Right where it makes the turn to head to the exhaust pipes. In the little elbow that forms from leaving the engine to making a line to the pipes.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ah ok, so like the pipe rusted a bit thin and then split along the seam.

All of the different headers have their good and bad points. I think the Flowtechs are the best cheap header, they fit nice and have large collectors. Hookers fit OK and are a good quality, but have small collectors. Hedman is good too, they have ball/socket style large collectors as well as offer a few versions. One version hangs a bit low but they are a breeze to install, the other version tucks up in the truck real nice, but the right side is difficult to instal and the left side can have exhaust interference issues with a 700r4 shifter linkage. Both versions are available in "Elite" models with thicker flanges and tubing, and there's a couple different coatings available.

BTW, this all applies to the small block.

Zaar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zaar
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20/30
Engine Size
flowtechs are cheap yes but they also claim that they wont rust yadda yadda, my headers are a rust haven and so is the rest of the truck lol best set of headers ive had so far are doug's then again them damn headers are something expensive wish i didnt trade em

eriksg

Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Right on. Sorry, I would've responded earlier, but the sites been down until today for me.
So now that I've got lots of ideas on which headers to choose from, how do I go about determining what size for the primary tube, collector, etc. How do I know what I need?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What year, engine, trans, 2wd or 4x4? Do you plan to replace the exhaust too? If not you will want to pick headers that exit close to the current location.

eriksg

Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I've got a 1973 with a 350 5.7l V8. I'm not 100% sure on the transmission, but it says it is option M49 T/Hydra-Matic Trans on the sticker in the engine compartment.
I don't plan on replacing the exhaust because that is still good for now. What do you mean by where it exits out? Is that a pipe length or something?
Thanks.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've got a 1973 with a 350 5.7l V8. I'm not 100% sure on the transmission, but it says it is option M49 T/Hydra-Matic Trans on the sticker in the engine compartment.
I don't plan on replacing the exhaust because that is still good for now. What do you mean by where it exits out? Is that a pipe length or something?
Thanks.

The different brands of headers terminate in different locations under the truck. Could you post a pic of yours, showing how much they dip below the frame (if at all) and how close the flanges are to the trans crossmember?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
builder100