Cost to swap in a 700r4 or a 480le?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Can you please explain? What is simple, spending minimum $500 ..? I understand a diesel engine controller can me modded to work... but that kinda
stuff is over my little head.

The TCI EZ TCU is 600, for ease of use I'd just go that route, 5-700 for a donor,that doesn't need to be built, then 600 for controller, puts you at around say, 1500 fluids and expendable stuff included.

You can do the Diesel controller, or a 411 PCM as a controller for less money and more effort.

Joe T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I thought the 700r4 had the same dimensions as the th400. Not the th350.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
The TCI EZ TCU is 600, for ease of use I'd just go that route, 5-700 for a donor,that doesn't need to be built, then 600 for controller, puts you at around say, 1500 fluids and expendable stuff included.

You can do the Diesel controller, or a 411 PCM as a controller for less money and more effort.
The TCI is actually under $350 now. Really hard to beat that if it’s reliable.

Edit: technically you’re correct. For the whole shebang harness and all it’s $595

Joe T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My uncle had a 75 C10 he bought new and drove to work for 41 years daily. Only thing he changed on it was swapping in a 700r4 when the original died.

He said he bought a cheapo rebuild at Autozone and I want to say it was like $600 or $700; something stupid cheap. Heck this might have been 20 years ago.

Knowing him it was probably a quick clean deal as a machinist I dont think he would want it cobbled up.

Random access memory.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size

:word:

A 700 can be built to hold more power than stock but are never built proof. I have a bowtie overdrives stage 3 in my vette behind a 406 and not a single problem from it other than annihilating the rear tires thanks to the ridiculous first gear ratio but in a big heavy truck with big tires it becomes completely different. This transmission is now $2k then you still need to hunt down the 700 crossmember, drive shafts and linkage for tcase. The turbo ls guys are adding a shift kit and convertor to a trans from the junkyard and the trans is holding 700+ rwhp. To me this is a no brainer and I was planning this for my truck with the big block swap till I sold the truck.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
:word:

A 700 can be built to hold more power than stock but are never built proof. I have a bowtie overdrives stage 3 in my vette behind a 406 and not a single problem from it other than annihilating the rear tires thanks to the ridiculous first gear ratio but in a big heavy truck with big tires it becomes completely different. This transmission is now $2k then you still need to hunt down the 700 crossmember, drive shafts and linkage for tcase. The turbo ls guys are adding a shift kit and convertor to a trans from the junkyard and the trans is holding 700+ rwhp. To me this is a no brainer and I was planning this for my truck with the big block swap till I sold the truck.

Yeah, the whole "700's are great transmissions when built right" argument kind of falls apart if money is a consideration in your world.

Unless you have one now, then it's probably more effective to build it and keep all your factory stuff. But if coming from something that's going to require driveshafts anyway? 80e.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell