Confused about pitman arm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyler Rea

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K/2500
Engine Size
350 5.7
I have a 76 short wide on 33s. Thing handles terribly. Months ago my pitman arm started to clunk and move when I would turn the wheel. I have a 4 inch lift and I do have a drop steering arm so I thought that taking the stock pit arm off of my parts truck would be okay and it was for a while but started to clunk again. A buddy of mine owns a shop in town and I showed him and he said I need a drop pitman arm but everything I've read online tells me you only need to get one of the drop steering components to make it work. Do I need a drop pit arm too or could the Steering arm be too short? When I bought the truck it had the lift and the steering arm on it already so I'm not sure what the drop on the steering arm is

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I have a 76 short wide on 33s. Thing handles terribly. Months ago my pitman arm started to clunk and move when I would turn the wheel. I have a 4 inch lift and I do have a drop steering arm so I thought that taking the stock pit arm off of my parts truck would be okay and it was for a while but started to clunk again. A buddy of mine owns a shop in town and I showed him and he said I need a drop pitman arm but everything I've read online tells me you only need to get one of the drop steering components to make it work. Do I need a drop pit arm too or could the Steering arm be too short? When I bought the truck it had the lift and the steering arm on it already so I'm not sure what the drop on the steering arm is
At 4” a raised steering arm on the knuckle should be plenty. Is your frame cracked at the steering box?

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
With a 4 inch lift you only need a raised steering arm. look at your drag link , you want it to be as flat as possible , if it is flat thats as good as it gets and check everything else as well.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
On a stock height truck the drag link between the pitman arm and the steering arm is nearly level horizontally.

When you install a spring lift kit it will raise the pitman arm and lower the steering arm, so the drag link gets more of an angle. You can then buy a dropped pitman arm, and/or raised steering arm to get it back in alignment. http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/steeringcorrection.htm

Bruce

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
If you need new conical washers for the steering arm, it's GM 3965138. You'll need 3. Nuts are not included.

You must be registered for see images attach

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
"Handles terribly" compared to what? Is the steering sloppy?
How is the gas mileage?

Good point. A lot of people hop into these old trucks and are shocked when they don’t handle like a Jetta. Not saying that’s you, OP, but it happens.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
FWD is a very different feel than RWD.
I would of used a better example the a German designed, Mexican built turd. I think I know what was in his mind when he posted that. A MK5.....yuck lol I’d of used an A4 Quattro Sport, black trim not silver as my example lol

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yuck I can agree with 100%. You’re right, though. It’s the first thing that came to mind because I had one. I probably could have used a better example, you’re right. A Chevy Celebrity would have been a higher quality, more luxurious example.
:happy175:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Yuck I can agree with 100%. You’re right, though. It’s the first thing that came to mind because I had one. I probably could have used a better example, you’re right. A Chevy Celebrity would have been a higher quality, more luxurious example.
:happy175:
I’m just bustin your chops.

Tyler Rea

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K/2500
Engine Size
350 5.7
The frame isn't cracked at the steering box and the drag link i believe is pretty close to level if I remember correctly. I'll add a picture of the drag link after I post this.

Tyler Rea

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K/2500
Engine Size
350 5.7
"Handles terribly" compared to what? Is the steering sloppy?
How is the gas mileage?

It handles terribly compared to anything I've ever driven. I've driven a few of these trucks and it's by far the sloppiest one I've driven yet. Also the gas mileage is terrible I live about 20 minutes out of town and will put $20 in every other day if I only use my truck for going to town and home

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Have you checked the caster? If you are too verticle, it will wander and not want to stay centered. After a turn, does the steering wheel want to re-center itself?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eatfood