coilover or bags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I have air ride on my truck so yes I would "risk it". I have no where near 4k in my setup an have had absolutely no issues with it over the past year an I have about 4k miles on it probably.

Oems are all about cost per unit. They do it as cheap as possible by the supplier that will do it as cheap as possible....

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I know Audi and MB air ride systems have all kind of electrical **** controlling them in conjunction with the ABS. Pitch and yaw sensors and bag over shock design. Just look at a Lincoln MKVlll lol with the snoot scraping the ground. After market uses for real bags. Not some gimmicky crap to make techy suites think they are king of the mountain in their Allroads.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
point was if OEMs cant get these systems reliable and trouble free, how can a smaller company. IF they can provide what the OEMs can't why aren't OEMs contracting Air ride to use their parts on the vehicles? Are you willing to risk the $4-10k for a system?
Cmon...seriously....you really wonder why ? The big five engineer to fail after a pre-determined amount of time. If you want reliability and longevity, buy something other than your basic grocery getter car or brick hauling truck.

So unless you have ever had a purpose built and properly engineered full air ride setup on a vehicle, you can't honestly say that you have a dog in this fight.

Last edited:

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
There isn't anything in a factory self leveling air ride setup that is similar to what you install for full air ride setup. That isnt a good comparison...

You guys realize that Ride Tech based their first air systems off how much better they ran on a road course on air than the factory springs/shocks. It was one of the biggest selling points...

Exactly...great point. I doubt that anyone else realizes that. Ride tech is constantly evolving their product lines.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Cmon...seriously....you really wonder why ? The big five engineer to fail after a pre-determined amount of time. If you want reliability and longevity, buy something other than your basic grocery getter car or brick hauling truck.

So unless you have ever had a purpose built and properly engineered full air ride setup on a vehicle, you can't honestly say that you have a dog in this fight.

Admittedly the prices have come down since last I looked and I am not doubting their performance but, I could argue unless you have a 100k miles on your airbag setup you can't speak to their longevity/reliability either.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
I'll bet that my airbags will far outlast anything metal in your truck. Yes, I realize that is an unfair statement since you do live in the rust belt. Everything has a lifespan, but air bags are probably not considered a "wear" item. About the only thing taht will shorten the service life of an airbag is somethig something rubbing against it, or uv rays from the sun breaking down the rubber and fibers. None of these two,scenarios come into olay when the bags are properly placed. The bags (all four) in my case have a burst pressure of 800psi. The max I ever need to run in them is 95psi. The dot air lines are rated a bit higher at 1200psi. I almost used stainless steel air lines, but it was a bit easier to run flexible lines instead. Stainless steel would far outlast the lifespan of the flexible lines.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartunesguy