chevy 6.2 caught on fire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
A lot of fire talk lately. A long time ago we had a maintenance man at one place I worked at that would go around every couple months with a rubber mallet, turn the extinguishers upside down and hit the bottom of the tank a few times. When I asked him wtf he was doing he said it keeps the powder loose in the bottom of the tank. Made sense to me so now I do it twice a year.

johnmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 10
Engine Size
305 tuneport injected
just the other day friend of mine hit the brakes and blew a brake line pulled over and waiting to be towed the truck caught on fire and burnt to the ground.

Camo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 extended cab 4x4
Engine Size
4.8 V8
Keep an extinguisher in the vehicle. Doesnt mena you can fight fire, But a small brake fire should have been easy to put out.

Camo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 extended cab 4x4
Engine Size
4.8 V8
basically this is what happened so far the cop that was originally pulled my buddy over for the smoke etc heard that my buddy was a marine and hooked him up on his report. the cop specified the the car was clearly not up to par for driving on the road and that it was a hazard to his life and if he didnt pull him over he probably would have been severly injured or dead because "the vehicle caught fire in under a minute" to make the seller look bad.he also has 2 fire reports. and the towing company keep in mind the truck has been in the lot for about three weeks hooked him up after he heard about the situation and is only charging him the initial towing charge. and from the reseach weve done ri has a law were if the vehicle is not able to be road worthy aka not inspectable then the seller has the right to get his money back if our research is correct.. and on the ad it states that the damn thing had some issues that would make it uninspectable. i mean im doubting that hell get full compensation for it but the cop thinks hell get that and some. i have my doubts but with the cop on his side he could have the upper hand. any more thoughts ??

So your buddy is refusing to take anyresponsibility for this? how do we know he didnt move a wire when looking under the hood to cause this.

Again if you dont know a lot about vehicels , have a mechanic look over it. Your buddy is the responsible party here. Buyer beware when you buy a $2300 truck adn dont have it checked out first.

ccmf22

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
So your buddy is refusing to take anyresponsibility for this? how do we know he didnt move a wire when looking under the hood to cause this.

Again if you dont know a lot about vehicels , have a mechanic look over it. Your buddy is the responsible party here. Buyer beware when you buy a $2300 truck adn dont have it checked out first.

the thing is that me and my buddy are both marine corps mechanics 3521 :patriot: he not that stupid and he didn't mess with anything, he had the truck for less than 40 mins and mechanically it looked sound and the test drive went fine, and all they would do is a 52 point inspection at any shop and the damn truck doesn't have a damn obd port anywhere so i fail to see how any ole shop would notice anything out of place when my buddy has been around square body's all his life, he knows were all the trouble spots are, like i said the seller must have known there was a hidden issue and neglected to state anything about it. and im pretty sure all of us on the forum have drivin our trucks for more than 40 mins without our trucks spontaneously combusting.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Hell i paid 700 for mine and then drove it 150 MILES HOME

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I paid $100 for my 84 C20, towed it home, rebuilt the Th400 and been driving it since. Sad, this incident happened though. Would have been great to have another 6.2 member on board.

Camo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 extended cab 4x4
Engine Size
4.8 V8
I have one right aroun dthe corner from you In Edmond. 6.2 465 combo. Old farm truck It just wont die. Thinking about rebuilding ti with a 6.5 turbo for the crew when I retire ...

Camo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 extended cab 4x4
Engine Size
4.8 V8
the thing is that me and my buddy are both marine corps mechanics 3521 :patriot: he not that stupid and he didn't mess with anything, he had the truck for less than 40 mins and mechanically it looked sound and the test drive went fine, and all they would do is a 52 point inspection at any shop and the damn truck doesn't have a damn obd port anywhere so i fail to see how any ole shop would notice anything out of place when my buddy has been around square body's all his life, he knows were all the trouble spots are, like i said the seller must have known there was a hidden issue and neglected to state anything about it. and im pretty sure all of us on the forum have drivin our trucks for more than 40 mins without our trucks spontaneously combusting.

Ooh Rah Devil Dog, I too was a jarhead..

this sounds like ti was an electrical issue.
How would the dealer have known if this was an electrical issue? it finally rubbed thru and grounded out.

As for OBD ports , there were mechanics long before OBD was introduced. We had to diagnose with our head, not a computer.

Your buddy should man up and accept his responsibility instead of getting all sue happy. I would hope the dealer would work with him a little but its not the dealers fault either. Soemtimes things happen, If he wants a warranty tell him to shell out big bucks for a new one.

Sucks that it happened, but i grow tired of everyone blaming someone elese for theri problems. if your buddy is not a good enough mechanic to check it out himself, he should have taken it to a good mechanic, then he could hold the mechanic that he paid money responsible.. Thats how this game is played.
just my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris