Charging System Tech Info, 1 wire vs 3 wire, Brighter Headlights, etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
Has anyone tried the brighter headlights tweak yet?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I wonder what is or where is this horn relay in our trucks.

86chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
chase
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
firebane, they are under the steering column area to the right of the fuses, my horn wasnt working properly and i had to find it. Its a little module on a tiny little mounting plate mine was faced away from me. Theyre not the easiest to locate but are pretty easy to take out.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
so it appears that basically you install a relay and use the 12v (normally sent to the headlight) to control a it that sends bus/14V voltage to the headlight?

sounds pretty simple. But I guess my question is what's causing the voltage drop? Hmm.....time to go play lol, I'm bored today. It's probably as simple as the load drawing it down.

Last edited:

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
This (the headlight tweak) reminds me of a mod I had to do on my motorcycle. I installed a larger horn (Stebel nautilus - which I did to my square too and recommend it) because the little stock horn was not loud enough to warn others while on the highway.

I had to end up using a relay to divert power directly from the battery to the horn because it drew something like 4x the amperage of the stock horn. For the headlight mod, I assume you can use any 12v relay rated for the amps your headlights are rated at. I'd buy one with 10% more capacity than I need just to be safe. You can probably get em cheaper than the $24 each relays sold in the link above.

I am going to make my own xenon bulb adapters so I will have to do this to my square if I want to get enough power up there. Also going to install an aux. battery and maybe a second alternator with the ambulance dual alternator kit.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I used the headlight relay harness from LMC truck and it was an easy installation. I put an additional power junction point on the passenger side fenderwell (same type as the one on the firewall behind the brake booster) and ran a 10 gauge wire with a fusible link over to the battery positive. That gave me a good place to use for powering the headlight relays. Then I attached the relays to the radiator support near the battery and ran the cables to the headlights.

The harness I got had really bright yellow wire, which looked out of place, so I put it all inside black split wiring conduit so it matched the other wiring in the truck.

Bruce

F-64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 lwb
Engine Size
5.7 tbi stock
I went ahead and performed the Big 3 wire upgrade. I used 6awg battery cable from Prowire as audio battery cable is not as robust. It has helped the alternator keep up with the electrical loads at night. Not to mention my starter spinning up faster. I did run a 2/0awg to my starter, but it didn't do as much as the Big 3.
I use relays for other items on the truck, but not the headlights.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
There's also relay tweaks that make your power windows run alot faster and smoother too. I hear you can have power window races they're so fast.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey