Caulking In Bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-5
Engine Size
I’m sure it works great. I feel it’s basically the same stuff as auto seam sealer, having used both, as both are urethane sealant. Never looked to see if 5200 is paintable though as I’ve only used it in marine applications.
It's pretty much the same. I was introduced to it back in the last 80's when I worked at a firetruck manufacturing plant. We used it on all of our seams, then we primed and painted over it. I believe about 10 years are so, they switched it up to a product from Stika call Sika-Flex. It dried a little faster, so you had to do smaller sections at a time to smooth it out. But I still use the 5200 on my stuff

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I used 3M 08308 in black, got it and the gun off Amazon. Worked great and was super easy to work with. Took longer to scuff the areas it was going down on then to put the sealer down.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I agree with the 3M seam sealer recommendation, my Dad recommends 3M Fast 'N Firm (08505) but I haven't used that one yet. I have used a few tubes of 3M Urethane (08362) and have been very pleased with it.

I've literally used hundreds of tubes of Fast 'n Firm. Never a single issue with it, although the name is a little misleading. It only skins over fast, it takes a good long while before it actually firms up.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
We used NP1. Got it in a bunch of colors at Lowe’s about $7 a tube. Used it on cab floor repair sealing top and bottom and bed seams before rhino lining. It’s been over a year and we are water tight everywhere and no cracking even in Texas heat.

Randy and Easton
Good stuff, except wrong application IMO. It should bond well and not crack, but it, like other NP1s and all the different Sika Flex products I’ve used are far more flexible than seam sealer (and consequently less durable in an application like inside the bed or the rear bumper seam, or even cab seams as just a push with your fingernail can/will deform it which will pop the paint off if it’s a painted surface). The stuff you used is specifically designed to be flexible like for expansion joints in concrete. It’s make to stretch ___% of its width and retain the bond to the substrate.
Just use seam sealer or something like 3M 5200 that gets much harder to the touch.
I’ve used AC Delco and 3M (or SEM) recently. Both are still good a couple years later now.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350

This is what I'm looking at using. ACDelco GM Original Equipment 10-2013 Body Joint and Seam Filler Compound​

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP