Cam question hodrodpc need some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

codesteez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hello so I have an 86 c10 with weeOfive stock stock stock so I live in California and have to smog everyone I see wants a mild cam. But I would the most aggressive CA legal cam just don't know much about them. My other question isssss I did the valve covers my girlfriend was sitting saying waaaahhh waaaah lets go I want to go to dinner so I'm pissed shoving things around to ruff hit the hot lead to alternator fried that fusable wire that's on the fire wall. No power anywhere tell I found that wire changed it fired right up but the check engine light is on now and there is no codes just stays on steady. Someone told me there is some kind of relay or something under the glove box that is most likely the problem but that was it didn't think to ask more so tell me what u think thanks again guys for always saving me.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If the wee0five is otherwise stock, anything more than one step above a stock cam will hurt power, not help. A cam is only one part of a package of parts designed to work together.

I don't know why your check engine light is still on after replacing the fusible link. Is the alternator putting out approx 14 volts?

codesteez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Check engine light :yes 13.7 volts I just don't understand why I can't get any codes out of the dam thing my paper clip method has always worked but the cam diy porting and a half way decent intake is in the works carb on it 750 cfm or up to that which is the stocker I believe but the other stuff in the works to just looking at cam numbers I'm stupid gotta learn that stuff

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Check engine light :yes 13.7 volts I just don't understand why I can't get any codes out of the dam thing my paper clip method has always worked but the cam diy porting and a half way decent intake is in the works carb on it 750 cfm or up to that which is the stocker I believe but the other stuff in the works to just looking at cam numbers I'm stupid gotta learn that stuff

All that money tossed into the 305 is a waste of money.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
And if you do any engine swap, you have to make sure it was from the same year or newer with similar emissions. Best to leave it as stock as possible here in CA or move to a county that doesn't require emissions testing.

A coworker has an 81 stepside that came factory with an I-6 and of course the I-6 has single exhaust. He swapped in a 350 and dual exhaust. Took it in to get it smogged and it failed. Rerouted the vacuum lines, fail. Over and over, fail. Finally took it to the Referee and turned out he had the wrong vacuum canister for a v-8 AND dual exhaust. He swapped in the right canister, got the vacuum lines routed the right way, and added single exhaust, back to the referee, PASS. I think they gave him a new VIN as well showing it's a v-8 now and not an I-6.

On my 81 3/4 ton I am lucky because I have no catalytic converter, but I still have to pass the sniffer and visual. I have added vortec heads, 300hp/327ci cam that has really good torque off idle through 4,500 rpm's and came stock in many factory engines, and the cooresponding intake for vortec heads with a quadrajet sitting on it, the stock air cleaner and everything else from the factory is still on it, so visually it looks factory. I guarantee those heads and intake and the cam I have in there run cleaner than the smogger setup that it came with, but if the testing facility ever dug deeper and checked numbers and noticed the heads weren't available in 81, it would FAIL.

So be smart about it, do some homework on what came on your year truck, add what you can and make sure it jives with that year truck and you will be fine.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I fail to see how matching items have any thing what so ever to do with emissions ? If you have a vehicle that passes with better #s then a stock year specific vehicle would, then, why would any of it matter?

So you have a vehicle that burns cleaner then when stock but NO! now you have to put back on all the crummy stock parts so it can just barely pass and actually introduce more emissions into the atmosphere ???

Someone should be able to challenge that on the grounds that the regulations are counter productive to the intent of the law.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I fail to see how matching items have any thing what so ever to do with emissions ? If you have a vehicle that passes with better #s then a stock year specific vehicle would, then, why would any of it matter?

So you have a vehicle that burns cleaner then when stock but NO! now you have to put back on all the crummy stock parts so it can just barely pass and actually introduce more emissions into the atmosphere ???

Someone should be able to challenge that on the grounds that the regulations are counter productive to the intent of the law.

You also don't live in California. It doesn't make sense. I just simply relayed information the OP needs to keep in mind when adding or changing stuff. It is total bullcrap, but it is what it is. I am sure if the politicians here had their way, there wouldn't be any older vehicles allowed on the road. There is a politician in this district that is pushing for no internal combustion vehicles in this county period in the next 20 years. So it is best to move to a county that doesn't have emissions testing or to a state that doesn't have as strict emissions testing.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You also don't live in California. It doesn't make sense. I just simply relayed information the OP needs to keep in mind when adding or changing stuff. It is total bullcrap, but it is what it is. I am sure if the politicians here had their way, there wouldn't be any older vehicles allowed on the road. There is a politician in this district that is pushing for no internal combustion vehicles in this county period in the next 20 years. So it is best to move to a county that doesn't have emissions testing or to a state that doesn't have as strict emissions testing.

Like Kansas! No emissions testing, period!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

I know its just the way it is. Im just saying that legally it could be challenged. Some Canadian cities have the same bull crap.

I am gonna put collector plates on my next truck when its done. This will eliminate smog testing even if I lived in a smog zone. It also enables one to purchase adequate insurance that correctly represents the value of your vehicle. Any thing 30 years and older is pretty easy to get collector plates on, and it doesn't even matter if it has a lift kit on it. Obviously the better shape the truck is in the easier it will be to get them. cause Im sure lots of people have tried to insure old rust buckets like that just to get around smog testing.

codesteez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well u can always swap a motor doesn't mater newer or older I have all the smog **** I need on my truck that pretty much will go right over to whatever I want to put it on. People always say that waste of money check it out I have 5.0 liter v8 spend couple hours diy porting and cam cheap intake isn't to bad u have a perfect motor for pulling trailers and loading the dirtbikes up so does anyone know a good cam

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Well u can always swap a motor doesn't mater newer or older I have all the smog **** I need on my truck that pretty much will go right over to whatever I want to put it on. People always say that waste of money check it out I have 5.0 liter v8 spend couple hours diy porting and cam cheap intake isn't to bad u have a perfect motor for pulling trailers and loading the dirtbikes up so does anyone know a good cam

I like old school grinds...300hp/327 ci blueprinted cam by Crane. Very good cam. Pulls from idle to 4,500.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
12-300-4 is a modern cam with a 600rpm to 4500rpm curve to it and designed for torque.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snips71