Cab Swap old for newer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpatters13

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custome Deluxe
Engine Size
I have a 74 C10 that I restored 20 years ago. I later sold it and now after about 15 years, I found the truck again rotting away in the backwoods of Mississippi. I own it again and want to rebuild it (a second time) with my son. The 74 cab is shot with cancer. I have the opportunity to buy a very clean 86 cab. I know the hood hinge slots need to be closed up along with the extra holes below the windshield. Any other issues I need to be aware of?

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks!

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Vin number on cab, won't match title of original truck. Check with your local authorities as swapping vins from donor cabs can get...well...dicey as far as the law is concerned. If you're not worried about vins, or you find out its ok......the swap should be rather easy. Other than the grill, headlight configuration (and wiring), most parts swap with minor mods. The doors as far as I know have remained the same other than the power locks and windows option in 86. Does the donor cab have ac?

Last edited:

Tranz Zam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
LM7 5.3
That's what I'm doing on my 73. I got a mint 87 cab.

You'll need to swap over the wiper assembly and arms. The front sheet metal will bolt right up. The newer cabs have the wiper controls on the steering column, so you'll either need to cut out the old wiper switch/headlight switch area on the old dash and install it in the new dash, or keep the newer steering column.

You can swap to the older 73-80 dash pad easy. You'll need to use the 73-80 bezel, but if you do you'll have to re-install the old style wiper switch/headlight switch as stated above, or modify the bezel to work with the newer headlight switch location.

The high beam switch mounted to the floor on the old truck, but the newer cabs had everything in the column. So you can install the high beam switch on the floor, or keep it on the column.

I switched all my old wiring, gauges, column, and cut out the metal bracket for the old style wiper and headlight switch and re-welded it in the new cab.

The newer trucks have a different end on the steering columns. The old trucks used a splined end, the steering shaft also used splined ends, and the steering box has splined ends. I know somewhere down the line GM switched to a "D" style end on the columns, so if you want to use the newer column you'll need to switch the steering shaft and steering box.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
That's what I'm doing on my 73. I got a mint 87 cab.

You'll need to swap over the wiper assembly and arms. The front sheet metal will bolt right up. The newer cabs have the wiper controls on the steering column, so you'll either need to cut out the old wiper switch/headlight switch area on the old dash and install it in the new dash, or keep the newer steering column.

You can swap to the older 73-80 dash pad easy. You'll need to use the 73-80 bezel, but if you do you'll have to re-install the old style wiper switch/headlight switch as stated above, or modify the bezel to work with the newer headlight switch location.

The high beam switch mounted to the floor on the old truck, but the newer cabs had everything in the column. So you can install the high beam switch on the floor, or keep it on the column.

I switched all my old wiring, gauges, column, and cut out the metal bracket for the old style wiper and headlight switch and re-welded it in the new cab.

The newer trucks have a different end on the steering columns. The old trucks used a splined end, the steering shaft also used splined ends, and the steering box has splined ends. I know somewhere down the line GM switched to a "D" style end on the columns, so if you want to use the newer column you'll need to switch the steering shaft and steering box.

You nailed it with this. I did exactly this with my 78. I used all the parts from the 78 into an 86 cab. I did go with the newer front clip tho.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub