Built 200r4 trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Built 200-4r trans

A buddy of mine wants to put his built auto 200-4r in my 79 Chevy with a stock 350 with 350 turbo. I'm hesitant about it but my trans needs to come out for inspection and some gaskets! Should I attempt it or not, it's free and something that could be fun, just want to make sure it'll hold up well!

Last edited:

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
200r4s really don't hold up to much. There are a couple companies that build them up. But they are weaker than a built 700... Outta free the e worst stress on them and any trans is doing burn outs. Breaking tires loose from a stop will shorten its life.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah I had a Buick Regal with this trans in it and one winter was doing donuts in the snow and I torched the trans, had it rebuilt and it felt real snappy when shifting gears etc, but I've heard people use them before. I'm not even sure what all has been built up on it but he had bought it from a guy who builds race type transmissions, I've got a 350 turbo right now but it feels a little sluggish, very soft shift points but doesn't feel like it is slipping or anything but has a couple leaks so I wanted to take it out to look at it but my buddy wanted to use this trans he had built so he offered it to me as a project for me and him to do. So I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the hassle. And just FYI it's a bone stock 350 if that makes any difference at all, lol

Last edited:

quaddriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy R2500
Engine Size
The big one
to use a 200, unless it is profe$$ionally rebuilt, you absolutely need one from the 86-87 GN/GNX. They had different internals and valve bodies than the ones used on the fake GTO and H/O 9 code and the carlo SS. Each of those were 170hp-ish cars, the GN and GNX bested that by quite a bit.

do not take a tranny from a regular car - you will light it up.

as for finding a genuine SFI turbo regal tranny on the open market? muahahahahahaha

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have to make sure on if it was out of a gn or not, and it was professional built by a guy in Missouri who builds race transmissions, I'm trying to get my buddy to give me the guys number/info so I can verify all that's been done to this trans. Is there any way to find out on outside of the trans that'll let me know if it's just a stock regal or cutlass 2004r?

quaddriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy R2500
Engine Size
The big one
I have to make sure on if it was out of a gn or not, and it was professional built by a guy in Missouri who builds race transmissions, I'm trying to get my buddy to give me the guys number/info so I can verify all that's been done to this trans. Is there any way to find out on outside of the trans that'll let me know if it's just a stock regal or cutlass 2004r?

there is, but I dont have it, there is a set of forums - sadly diminished as these cars vanish - that should have it.

If the pro builder replaced essentially all of the guts it could be ok. He would have to have used the proper hard parts and the valve body.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
the 200r4 was put behind a v6 in a somewhat light car I would not put one in a truck.

I have a buddy that swears one will hold up to a blown 454 he is putting one in his blown 454 c-10. I tried to talk him out of it but he is doing it. to build one to handle any kind of power you will spend a small fortune. might as well go with a 4l80 for that kind of money. they are bad ass in stock form and killer bad ass built.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmballow02