Brown Tire Issue???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

45tt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Grande K15
Engine Size
I have a reoccurring issue with my tires. They turn brown in the sun after I’ve put a tire gloss on them. If I leave my truck out for a long time the entire side of the tire is brown. I know it’s the crap brand I’m using. Is there a brand that will not give me brown tire when it sits in the sun?

Attachments

• B6865C6E-F46D-435B-A8E0-FBF3E1D7698C.jpeg
    B6865C6E-F46D-435B-A8E0-FBF3E1D7698C.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 90

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I forget which brand I have, but it stays black. I will try to remember to check the car cleaning tote after work.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I would suggest looking up chemical guys. I don't use their tire gloss as that is not my thing, but I do use there vinyl protectant products on my dash and it is great. I also use their waterless car wash in between tunnel washes in the summer when we don't have much water.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It's not the tire dressing, it's the tires. Tire rubber has a product called anitzonant ?sp that helps keep the rubber from drying out/cracking.
As evidenced, I have a 2017 trailer with original tires that (just bought this year) but can guarantee have never had any tire dressing on them. I'm fairly certain the original owner never even actually washed it. It spent 3 years in a pole barn and about a year outside in the sun.
Those tires are bout as brown as any I've ever had. Tried 2 rounds of Bleche White on them and it didn't touch it.
I beleive there are other cleaning products out there that may work better?

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Mine stay black even after the tire shine wears off. It's sits outside 24/7/365.

You must be registered for see images attach

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
It's not the tire dressing, it's the tires. Tire rubber has a product called anitzonant ?sp that helps keep the rubber from drying out/cracking.
As evidenced, I have a 2017 trailer with original tires that (just bought this year) but can guarantee have never had any tire dressing on them. I'm fairly certain the original owner never even actually washed it. It spent 3 years in a pole barn and about a year outside in the sun.
Those tires are bout as brown as any I've ever had. Tried 2 rounds of Bleche White on them and it didn't touch it.
degreaser, like purple power or similar. Wet the tire first, spray it on full strength (careful of painted rims), you can literally see the orangey brown stuff running off them almost immediately especially if they're real bad. Let it sit about 30 seconds, hit it with a plastic bristle brush (I use the brush from a broken snow scraper or something similar) and hose off. Leaves the white letters looking whiter than bleche-white ever could (I have never liked the stuff, now with the new formulation it's completely useless), and makes the black rubber look brand new. Doesn't mater how grimy the tire is, it comes out awesome every time. I don't even use tire shine, I'd rather just have a perfectly clean black tire than a greasy looking one.

Just be careful not to let it dry on there, it's really not good for rubber if you leave it on too long, the key is to be quick just to dissolve the nasty sh!t off the outside. You can use simple green too, it's a little less harsh (though it doesn't do quite as good of job as a result)

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@RecklessWOT, good info!
Even more interesting that you said Bleche White has changed. Because, I don't use much but bought a new bottle this year and it didn't even brighten up the white letters on new OWL tires that just had a little dirt on them. And it didn't touch the brown stuff on others.
Cant wait to try some degreaser now.
Agree, I don't use any tire shine 90% of the time. Aside from the time it take's it just looks like crap after a while. Usually only for special occasions. If'n I'm getting dressed up, the car probably is going to get tire shine too...lol

45tt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Grande K15
Engine Size
I really think it’s related to my crappy tire shine. My tires don’t turn brown until I pull the truck out of the garage and let it sit in the sun. I’m going to wash them down good to get the crap off of them and put a better brand of shine on them

Corvette Ed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eli
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I had a couple sets of Cooper tires that turned brown years ago. The newer Cooper tires stay black.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'm not discounting this as I make this comment. But I've never head of it. I'm curious, if it is something in the tires on some tires at least when did that start being put into the rubber? I've never had this occur and have never had a customer complain of it, while I'm still in the repair business for now, but I left my last tire store around 2008ish.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I remembered to look in the tote today, but it's not in there. Now I have to figure out where I put it.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Having changed many tires in my career, I have had brand new tires on the rack, inside the building that looked brown. I talked to one of the vendors about this years ago. Something about the rubber compound mix not correct. Too much or not enough of one part of the mix.

Major tire companies used to sell these tires as blems at a saving. No problem with the tire other than the color. My guess from what @RecklessWOT stated about cleaning the brown color, the improper mix must leach some compound out that causes the brown coating.

@SirRobyn0 who work for major tire companies did not see this because those companies whole-saled those blems that they might of had.

Me, I have bought some of those brown blems. More money left for beer.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I think its a great opportunity to make dirty colored tires so they never appear dirty, they just.. appear dirty.. cant get sad if its already ugly??? Thats all i got lol.

Be careful of the degreaser you use for tires and painted stuff. I believe some of the big names of detail products like meguiars et al. have automotive all surface safe degreasers or at least at specified parts to water. I use ZEP degreasers and they would be a little rough on rubber but the one is excellent on brake dust on wheels if right mix. mostly a mix thing and they list what not to hit with them etc. Very helpful cleaners. The best way to protect on the tire thing would be to clean perfectly and apply a sealer or a product that will last a while, and just stay up on the coating application and clean as needed. as long as your cleaning away a coating and not trying to catch up to the tire brown stuff each time, it should be managaeable

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have a reoccurring issue with my tires. They turn brown in the sun after I’ve put a tire gloss on them. If I leave my truck out for a long time the entire side of the tire is brown. I know it’s the crap brand I’m using. Is there a brand that will not give me brown tire when it sits in the sun?
I also see some brown color between the tread lugs in this photo, were you driving it around before you took this picture? Unless you're coating the whole tire tread and all, it's most likely just dust/dirt getting stuck to the tire. The same principle of how a K&N air filter attracts dust and dirt to the oiled element, if you grease up your tire to make it shiny you are just giving the dirt a place to stick to. How clean is the tire before you put tire shine on it? If you're just hitting it with regular car wash soap and hosing it off they're probably not really that clean to begin with, so making them shiny just makes the dirt stand out more. Rubber is a weird material dirt doesn't just wipe off of it the same way it does on a painted surface, you need to use something that deep cleans it before trying to dress them with tire shine.

45tt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Grande K15
Engine Size
I also see some brown color between the tread lugs in this photo, were you driving it around before you took this picture? Unless you're coating the whole tire tread and all, it's most likely just dust/dirt getting stuck to the tire. The same principle of how a K&N air filter attracts dust and dirt to the oiled element, if you grease up your tire to make it shiny you are just giving the dirt a place to stick to. How clean is the tire before you put tire shine on it? If you're just hitting it with regular car wash soap and hosing it off they're probably not really that clean to begin with, so making them shiny just makes the dirt stand out more. Rubber is a weird material dirt doesn't just wipe off of it the same way it does on a painted surface, you need to use something that deep cleans it before trying to dress them with tire shine.
When I treated the tires, I did treat into the lugs. I treated the tires in the garage, but whenever I pull it out of the garage and into the sun the tire slowly turns brown. I didn’t have the problem until I used the product I have currently. Tires are on the newer side and the truck is not driven that much. I would like to still use a tire shine, but I’d like to find a product that doesn’t react with brown tire in the sun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macdiesel86420