Broke another flexplate, what am I missing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Is the flex plate "bowed" or is that just the picture angle making it look that way ?
Oh no it isn’t bent at all and after looking again, the torque converter gap is probably closer to 1/2”. I ran it with the access cover off looked and it doesn’t wobble, had to shut it down though. Neighbors in the apartment complex don’t appreciate a clanking ratty pickup truck. I’m quite certain of that lol.

Last edited:

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Duplicate post

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Good advice all. Really I’m not opposed to a warranty deal... it’s just more money than a self rebuild.

To be honest guys, I wasn’t planning on a trans swap in the dead of winter, I am thinking about trying that long bolt trick, throw another $53 flexplate in and then I can accumulate the trans and do the swap when and where I want. I understand it may break again, I will just try to be easy on it.

On a serious note about the new tranny, I would like to include a shift kit to firm the shifts. Are there stages of aggressive ness? My truck is almost too aggressive, not really sure I want it as harsh. It does not thud into gear, but it rips the tires out from under it when you get on it and I don’t need that at all. I am more looking to increase the life of the clutches with firmer shifts.

Thanks

I've got a shift kit in mine. It was already installed. But, you can get one for under a 100 bucks and they're easy to install yourself too.

I put a deep pan and new filter in my th350. Filled it up and now seems to shift a little harder which I like. I'm trying to get it to bark the tires when it shifts into 2nd but, no luck yet. Lol

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
I've got a shift kit in mine. It was already installed. But, you can get one for under a 100 bucks and they're easy to install yourself too.

I put a deep pan and new filter in my th350. Filled it up and now seems to shift a little harder which I like. I'm trying to get it to bark the tires when it shifts into 2nd but, no luck yet. Lol

Mine screeches the back tires if I get on it and let it shift at 50 mph lol. Too aggressive for me. Heck I’ve had it chirp second with 1,500 pounds of mulch in the bed. It can tone down just a notch.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Stage 1,2, or 3!? In a B&M shift improver kit and I picked Stage 2 - ONE TIME when I was a kid. Been a Stage 1 guy since.
In my experience, I have yet to have a shift kit that I thought had a firm enough 2-3 shift in Stage 1.
The trans i've got now is the best one yet.
@82sbshortbed
Try turning the adjustment screw inside of the vacuum nipple of your vacuum modulator out about half a round at a time. You'll have to get in and out and up and down a lot...maybe take an aspirin first or whatever..lol..I guarantee if you pull the detent cable adjustment out you can make it chirp. Especially with the combination of those two adjustments...it's really NOT GOOD for the detent cable to be WAY out of whack. My advice is just barely enough as you can get away with. As little as possible is good.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
That’s some really good info, thanks guys!

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Easiest driveway transmission swap I did was about a year ago. No transmission jack just a long wide trailer ramp slid under the truck so the ramp was sticking out under each door.( you could use an old wooden door cut down) I lifted the ramp up until it touched the transmission pan blocked it in place pulled the transmission back till it was sitting on the ramp then lowered the ramp about 8 inches at a time side to side then slid the transmission sideways across the ramp. Slid the new one into the center of the ramp raised one side of the ramp then the other until it was high enough and slid the transmission forward

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Stage 1,2, or 3!? In a B&M shift improver kit and I picked Stage 2 - ONE TIME when I was a kid. Been a Stage 1 guy since.
In my experience, I have yet to have a shift kit that I thought had a firm enough 2-3 shift in Stage 1.
The trans i've got now is the best one yet.
To answer your question, I have no idea what shift kit I have. From what you are saying, I have either a 2 or 3. I would guess this son of a gun has a stage 3?

Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
To answer your question, I have no idea what shift kit I have. From what you are saying, I have either a 2 or 3. I definitely want a 1. Here’s a quick video of me rolling into it at 25mph to see if the tires would chirp on second while getting up to speed. WAY too aggressive for me. I would guess this son of a gun has a stage 3?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That's perfect for me! I'd be doing that around every corner. I'm gonna have to get out there and do some adjustments luke Rusty suggested because I like that.

What size tires you have? Mine are 275/60/r15. I can spin them from a dead stop easy and it'll get sideways. Maybe they just don't bark when shifting. See what I can do. Lol

I like this thread!

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
That's perfect for me! I'd be doing that around every corner. I'm gonna have to get out there and do some adjustments luke Rusty suggested because I like that.

What size tires you have? Mine are 275/60/r15. I can spin them from a dead stop easy and it'll get sideways. Maybe they just don't bark when shifting. See what I can do. Lol

I like this thread!

I’ve got 2 setups, this is with the stock 235/75/15’s. I have a second set of wheels where I am running 285/75/16’s out back and they don’t chirp as bad, but they are also like 3 or 4” TALLER, they help tone down the rear gears which is a huge part of why I run such a large back tire. It coasts around 3k rpm on the highway with the 285/75/16’s as opposed to about 3,800 rpm with the 235/75/16’s. I experience A LOT of wheel hop with the 285’s, so I don’t really do anything crazy with the bigger tires on.
You must be registered for see images attach

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
@79dentside , I like both of those looks for your truck. I would have a hard time choosing one, probably wear out the studs and nuts before I was done!!!....LOL
Lol, thanks. I like the staggered white wheels better. I was going to sell the stock rally’s, but I haven’t done it yet. I kinda like them too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84