body hops when braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
So the truck hops when hard braking. but if o push the clutch in it will lessen or stop. Ive replaced rotors. Pads. Flushed it . brake lines. idk what it is any ideas its a k30 silverado84 .

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
New body mounts as well

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
springs,hangers,u bolts is all tight,spring bushings ???

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Bushings old and dry. Evrything seems tight. Ive been thinking of replacing them with ord greasable ones. Was going to do that with the shakle flip and mew front springs

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Are the rear brake components tight and are the shoes installed correctly.

If the leading and lagging shoes are installed backwards, the shoes will grab and skip along the ID of the drum. The whole truck shudders and the rear end hops up and down.

My previous truck had this problem (especially in damp/humid conditions, the first few stops in the A.M and when the brakes were hit hard). Kind of felt like an ABS system on steroids. The whole truck would shudder and bounce - real bad.

It got to the point where I had to figure it out. Long story short - whenever I changed rear brake shoes, I just replicated what the first owner had done. It was done wrong - he had the lead and lags reversed.

Once they were corrected, the truck braked smoothly - never did the bunny hop thing again.

The following is from a GM advisory on fundamental brake problems to their dealer technicians (this is the section that pertains to grabbing):

REAR DRUM BRAKES

Causes:

You must be registered for see images attach

•Shoes/Linings incorrectly installed. Each side should have a leading and trailing shoe. The lining surface on the trailing shoe will be slightly larger than the lining surface on the leading shoe. The trailing shoes should be installed in the rear position on each side, while the leading shoes are installed in the front position on each side. If the shoe positions are reversed, the braking performance will be very grabby and prone to wheel lockup.

•Brake linings contaminated with brake fluid or gear oil.

•Incorrect shoe size or type.

•Loose or broken brake lining.

•Brake shoe adjustment too tight or too loose.

•Weak or broken return springs.

What to Check For:

•Look for the following common mistakes:

•Leading and trailing shoes are reversed.

•Both leading shoes are installed on one side while both trailing shoes are installed on the other side.

•Inspect the wheel cylinders for signs of leakage or sticking, replace or rebuild as necessary.

•Inspect the axle seals for signs of leakage. Gear oil leaking from the axle seal will usually be indicated by a spray pattern starting at the center of the drum and spreading outwards. If any signs of gear oil leakage are found, the shoes and seal should be replaced.
NOTE: Leakage at the axle seals is often caused by worn wheel bearings. If the vehicle has high mileage, it is recommended to replace the wheel bearing along with the axle seal.

•Inspect all brake springs and replace if any appear worn or distorted.
•Inspect shoes for correct fit with drum and backing-plate.
•Inspect brake lining for cracks, missing pieces or poor bonding to shoes.
•Check for proper adjustment, readjust as necessary.

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Is the load compensator (height sensing valve) still in the rear hydraulic circuit?

If so you might consider removing/bypassing it.

In 1987 GM issued a TSB on the subject that begins like this:

THIS BULLETIN IS A REVISION OF TRUCK SERVICE BULLETIN 85-B-79, DATED MAY, 1985, UPDATING FOR MODEL YEARS 1984-1988.
1984-1986 C/K 3500 and 1987-1988 R/V 3500 series trucks are equipped with a rear suspension height sensing device that optimizes the brake proportioning valve setting for the load the vehicle is carrying. The height sensing system adjusts the brake balance in vehicles subjected to a range of loading conditions. Occasionally, vehicle modifications by body builders or owners influence the height sensing device. If a vehicle has had rear suspension modifications that affect its trim height or the spring rate, and the driver comments about the brake modulation characteristics of the vehicle, it is recommended that the height sensing system be removed and the brake system be revised as described below.

The whole story:

Last edited:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thank You.
I had removed a couple of them just cause I thought I did`nt need something else to break, or brake.:anitoof:

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
That could be it ive wanted to take that off. Theres 2.5 blocks on it so that would mess up the reading its getting. Ill bypass it and see how it changes thank you

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
I took it off no more hopping just need to put a proportioning valve to keepem from locking up. It could get spendy with the km2s

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Ok i have a wilwood adj pv.. one line in one line out. Now am i going to plum this next to the mc before the comb box or after it. Like under on the frame by the rear axle where the load sensing pv was. a friend told me to put it by the mc but would that mess up the bias in the pv combo on the front of the frame

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I don't think you want any type of metering device in place of the removed height/load sensing valve.

I believe that was the intent of the TSB originally -to eliminate any restriction to flow in/out of the rear cylinders.

The forward proportioning/combination valve (the one bolted to the front crossframe) will work fine as a stand-alone:

These vehicles use either a two function or three function combination valve. Some vehicles use a height sensitive proportioning valve in addition to the combination valve.
The two function combination valve consists of a metering valve and a brake failure warning switch. The hydraulic brake lines are routed through this valve to the wheel cylinders or calipers. The metering portion of this valve assists in providing balanced front to rear braking by delaying full hydraulic fluid pressure to the front disc brakes until the rear drum brakes overcome return spring tension and the linings contact the drums. The brake failure warning switch portion of the valve activates the brake warning lamp when there is a loss of pressure in either the front or the rear braking system.
The three function combination valve consists of a metering valve, a brake failure warning switch, and a proportioning valve. The metering valve and brake failure warning switch operate the same as those in the two function combination valve previously described.
The proportioning section of the valve proportions outlet pressure to the rear brakes after a certain rear input pressure has been reached, preventing rear wheel lock-up.

The height sensitive proportioning valve provides ideal brake balance according to weight at rear axle. - Or maybe not.

This valve is mounted on the frame and responds to changes in vehicle trim height in relation to rear axle load. Mechanical linkage connects the valve to a bracket attached to the rear axle.

I don't know if you can see it on these imges, but (on my K30 -single), the valve is gone and has been replaced with a standard tee. The bracket remains in place for mounting purposes. Braking capability is as factory.

Attachments

• brakes RH side 023.jpg
    brakes RH side 023.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 168
  • Cab interior & left brakes 027.jpg
    Cab interior & left brakes 027.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Cab interior & left brakes 028.jpg
    Cab interior & left brakes 028.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

NOPHO84K30