Blown Fusible link

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Correct, if you have 12v up top when you turn the key, there's no reason the starter shouldn't spin then.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Hi I'm new to this forum and need some urgent help. I recently replaced the starter on my 79' k10, and hooked everything up correctly until I got to my battery. I was blinded by the fact I was about to finally have my truck running that I hooked the terminals up backwards. I went inside to start the truck, then saw a steady stream of smoke coming from the starter location and at the terminal junction on the firewall. Now my starter won't even click. My other electronics work like wipers and lights but no starter. I was wondering if I blew my fusible links or if it's something else. Any info will help THANKS!

I guess I should have read the OP more closely. If you had head/parking lights and ignition switched components (like wipers, radio, etc) that would indicate that power was available into the cab on both main feeds - and so the fusible links were all still intact.

The feeds to the H/L switch (and other exterior lighting, horn/dome, courtesy lights, clock, etc.) and the ignition switched components are on two separate circuits.

1. The feed to the H/L (and related components) is protected by just one fusible link - down at the solenoid.

2. The feed to the ignition switch (and the alternator BAT terminal) is also protected by a link located just above the solenoid. But that feed has an additional fusible link. It is located between the firewall junction block and where the common lead splits off into two branch circuits - a few inches away from the JB. One side of the branch goes through the firewall and up to the ignition switch. The other side goes to the alternator.

If, after the incident, you still had power to the headlights and also power to ignition switched equipment, that means both main feeds - that pass through the main harness connector at the firewall and into the cab - were hot.

If the only noticeable issue is that the starter won't engage and crank, it's possible that the problem is with the starter. First check whether power is being supplied to the solenoid when the ignition switch is turned to START.

The solenoid has two terminals that are used with your model year:

The big one - labeled "B" for battery - has 3 leads connected to it. The thick black cable (battery positive) and two smaller red leads with the fusible links.

It also has a small terminal labeled "S" for start. This terminal post will have a thin purple lead connected to it.

When the key is turned to START, power flows from the ignition switch, out through the firewall and down to the "S" terminal on the solenoid.

After you have straightened out your fusible link situation - and you are sure that power is available into the cab - get a helper and check for voltage on "S" when the key is turned to START.

If you see 12 VDC at "S" with the key in START, that would suggest that the starter/solenoid suffered some kind of damage when the battery was cross-connected.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I seems like theres something wrong with the wire going from the junction block to the starter because theres power at one end of the wire but not the other.

Quick and dirty way would be to run a jumper from the terminal down to the starter, if it works, then replace that wire properly.

from the terminal block? which post would i attatch it to on the solonoid?

Terminal S

If your intent here is to confirm/eliminate lack of continuity in the red lead from the solenoid to the firewall junction block as the problem, don't connect the solenoid end to the "S" terminal - that terminal is for control power in from the ignition switch. I'm sure J.R. meant that the jumper should be connected to the "B" terminal at the solenoid and the LH post (looking towards the firewall) on the JB.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
No, I was just wrong apparently lol. I thought Terminal S came from the ignition switch, by way of the junction block. But I appreciate the benefit of the doubt! :cheers:

Kaleb555

Reaction score
First Name
Kaleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Ok so I hooked up the jumper cables from the junction block to the S terminal and she started right up. So I'm guessing I just need to replace the wire?

Kaleb555

Reaction score
First Name
Kaleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
No, I was just wrong apparently lol. I thought Terminal S came from the ignition switch, by way of the junction block. But I appreciate the benefit of the doubt! :cheers:

Also the wire going from terminal S to the junction block is red not purple, so I'm guessing it's been replaced before.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Ok so I hooked up the jumper cables from the junction block to the S terminal and she started right up. So I'm guessing I just need to replace the wire?

Yep, wire is broken, smoked somewhere along the way. Replace the fusible link also, or next time it may be your whole harness that get's it.

Kaleb555

Reaction score
First Name
Kaleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Yep, wire is broken, smoked somewhere along the way. Replace the fusible link also, or next time it may be your whole harness that get's it.

Do you know which gauge wire it would be? Is it a 16 gauge?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I'm pretty sure that is correct.

Forum statistics