Best Product for Cleaning Floor Pans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LocoLocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Hey folks,
I’m going to pull my carpet and the OEM foam pad, clean the carpet and replace the foam pad with some sound deadener and a layer of closed cell foam.

Assuming the floor pans don’t need to be replaced, I would like to clean them up so that the sound deadener sticks well and doesn’t trap moisture. What’s the best product to use for that, that won’t damage the floors?

I imagine that old adhesive is going to be pretty nasty, but I don’t want to damage the floor or paint in the process. I was thinking something like simple green, but would be interested in hearing what guys have used in the past.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and here’s the nastiness.

You must be registered for see images attach

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Mine just came up.

If it is adhesive you'll need something like acetone or stronger. And good ventilation!
If it's just dirty Simple Green will probably work.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^What he said! Don’t waste your time trying to dissolve adhesive with something environmentally friendly.
Lacquer thinner at a minimum. Acetone or paint reducer as the next 2 steps up.
Even good ole gasoline may work.
That said, know that the asphaltic backed sound deadener sheets will stick to damn near anything that isn’t oily or greasy. I’d get the bulk of old adhesive off but no need to be ocd about it because the next guy will have a much harder time removing the black stuff! It ain’t coming off!

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
I'm in the middle of doing this exact thing, but I've kinda stalled out.

I took the seats, seatbelts and mechanisms out, then pulled the carpet and underlayments out. There were only a few spots that I had to take a scraper too.
Unfortunatly I found a decent amount of cancer in some harder to deal with spots. Now I've kinda stalled as I'm trying to figure out the best course of action.

Also, due to work, not having a garage and seasonal (Dark when I get home and or raining), I've not had a chance to work on it in a few weeks. Kinda Frustrating...

Watching your thread to see how you progress along too.
I plan on deadening and dampening the **** outta this thing before I put any interior back in. The last two times I drove it, I've been sitting on a 50Cal Ammo can for a seat... :)

LocoLocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size

I took the seats, seatbelts and mechanisms out, then pulled the carpet and underlayments out. There were only a few spots that I had to take a scraper too.
Unfortunatly I found a decent amount of cancer in some harder to deal with spots. Now I've kinda stalled as I'm trying to figure out the best course of action.

Also, due to work, not having a garage and seasonal (Dark when I get home and or raining), I've not had a chance to work on it in a few weeks. Kinda Frustrating...

I plan on deadening and dampening the **** outta this thing before I put any interior back in. The last two times I drove it, I've been sitting on a 50Cal Ammo can for a seat... :)

I’m in the same boat as you with my work space. I have a small garage but can’t fit the truck in there. Plus, this damn daylight savings time…I’ll be in the driveway with some work lights trying to wrap this up before it gets too cold.

I got everything out and it’s not good. I could drive it like this but I would rather take care of it now that I have everything out. I’m going to cut out and replace the floor pans (which include a previous owner’s poor attempt at stopping the cancer). Then I will do the whole cab with sound deadening, rather than starting with the back half now, and I’ll report back!

Attachments

• 204E6B63-1EB3-46B0-A667-47EFD6DDBFBE.jpeg
    204E6B63-1EB3-46B0-A667-47EFD6DDBFBE.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 72
  • D9E0E9AF-E6C3-4C44-B4A5-CF4BD1D6C984.jpeg
    D9E0E9AF-E6C3-4C44-B4A5-CF4BD1D6C984.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 244746E1-66F1-4750-8702-3AFB5793EBB7.jpeg
    244746E1-66F1-4750-8702-3AFB5793EBB7.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 69

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Hey folks,
I’m going to pull my carpet and the OEM foam pad, clean the carpet and replace the foam pad with some sound deadener and a layer of closed cell foam.

Assuming the floor pans don’t need to be replaced, I would like to clean them up so that the sound deadener sticks well and doesn’t trap moisture. What’s the best product to use for that, that won’t damage the floors?

I imagine that old adhesive is going to be pretty nasty, but I don’t want to damage the floor or paint in the process. I was thinking something like simple green, but would be interested in hearing what guys have used in the past.

Thanks in advance.

if you have to get some uncooperative stuff maybe try a heat gun from the bottom while using a puddy knifee.,., maybe even some solvent..(with a resistant plastic)but you may be lucky yet

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I’m in the same boat as you with my work space. I have a small garage but can’t fit the truck in there. Plus, this damn daylight savings time…I’ll be in the driveway with some work lights trying to wrap this up before it gets too cold.

I got everything out and it’s not good. I could drive it like this but I would rather take care of it now that I have everything out. I’m going to cut out and replace the floor pans (which include a previous owner’s poor attempt at stopping the cancer). Then I will do the whole cab with sound deadening, rather than starting with the back half now, and I’ll report back!
since your rust is very minor (haha) you may want to look at one of those damn near 1 piece floor patches. they got more like that compared to even just a year ago last I saw

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey folks,

Thanks in advance.

The OEM jute lookin stuff is not glued to the floor at least in the 80s trucks. But use whatever takes the glue off. It’s steel. Not going to hurt it.

LocoLocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Thanks everyone. Sorry I have been remiss in responding. I don't know what adhesive it was in there but good ol' goo gone took care of it. Still haven't welded in the new floor pans yet though - just been drivin 'er without carpet and enjoying watching the road roll by through the holes in those corners. I hope to get the floor pans done this week and then finish the interior. The old carpet was "fine" but I am (kinda) tempted to buy a new one.

LocoLocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size

I sat on a five gallon bucketed ratchet strapped down for short drive recently!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito