battery tray difference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
all 81-87 trucks had battery trays on the pass(RH) side, is a LH(auxiliary) side on any different

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm going off memory here, but I think the tray is the same, it's the support bracket that is different.

friscobob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
Just looked at my '81, the battery tray and support are a welded unit and looking at the mounting holes I'd say the LH one is a mirror copy of the RH. The inner fender even has dimples where you need to drill mounting holes.
Bob

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I just went ahead and bought a LH battery tray from LMC. Part number is different so we will see, besides its hard to find a battery tray that the bottom bolt hole is rotted off of around here, will put pic in my build thread

thanks for the answers guys

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I just went ahead and bought a LH battery tray from LMC. Part number is different so we will see, besides its hard to find a battery tray that the bottom bolt hole is rotted off of around here, will put pic in my build thread

thanks for the answers guys

The trays are different slightly as well as being opposite to each other. The left outer fender does not have welded nuts to attach the tray so you must use 2 bolts and nuts and squeeze your hand in to the inner part of the outer fender to fasten the tray to the fender.

There is a dimple for the upper bolt to attach to the inner fender. Drill this hole and then fasten your tray to the inner fender where you drilled and the outer fender with your 2 bolts and then mark where the hole will be for your lower bolt as there is no dimple to go off of for that lower bolt. Then remove the tray drill the lower bolt hole and then reassemble.

slowgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500 3+3
Engine Size
454, nv4500, 205, 4.56 rp
They are different. I just installed them on my v3500. There's dimples where to drill but you'll have to use a nut on the inner fender if your truck didn't come factory with aux battery

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68