Axle Identification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Bextreme04,

I find that really weird that a gear like that was found in a regular vehicle. But I found out much later on that it's for towing purposes, it makes it easier to tow heavy loads when the tires a going around faster than the engine, by a lot faster. I just don't think a 4.56:1 in a car or truck, I think about a gear like that in a race car where you want that kind of ratio. But there it is and has been offered for many a decade.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
@Bextreme04,

I find that really weird that a gear like that was found in a regular vehicle. But I found out much later on that it's for towing purposes, it makes it easier to tow heavy loads when the tires a going around faster than the engine, by a lot faster. I just don't think a 4.56:1 in a car or truck, I think about a gear like that in a race car where you want that kind of ratio. But there it is and has been offered for many a decade.

Trucks especially will have much taller gears just because they have bigger tires than passenger cars. You lose a lot of torque advantage with the short gear ratios, which affects your acceleration. The tall ratios are very common on the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks because they are meant to haul heavy loads. My '80 K25 with 4.10's pulls a trailer way easier than my 2011 K1500 Suburban with 3.21's. It won't do 75 like the 'burb, but below 60 it is the far better puller.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silverado9019