Alternator wiring question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Haro504

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hello I'm trying to wire my alternator but the brown number 25 wire is missing from the bulkhead connector. The engine was missing when I bought the truck and I put in a tbi 350. The dash has a volt meter and there is an air diverter system that I don't have installed but might have something to do with the wiring. I can't find a specific wire diagram for this truck but the ones I have seen show the same location. I can't see any sign of the wire ever being there there is no hole or visible disturbance of the sealer. The alternator plug was gone as well but I got one from craigslist. Does anyone know if there was a difference with the wiring or where it needs to go? The truck is an 86 k20 350
You must be registered for see images attach

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
On trucks equipped with gauges, that brown wire - according to the schematics I am looking at - changes to a brown/white after it passes through the firewall.

The info available on that particular wire is sketchy at best. I do know that it is the feed to the volt meter on the dash.

Haro504

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thank you. I was poking around it today and didn't really get anywhere I guess I'll have to remove the gauges and splice it in somewhere.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
My dash is open - I'll go look. I'm not sure, but I think you can just splice anywhere into the pink/blk circuit (it's everywhere).

Here look at this (from GM) - it's simple but gets the point across:

See how all the + sides of the 3 gauges are on the 39 pink/blk group:

Haro504

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That's great I've was looking for a gauge diagram for a few hours and could not find one. Thank you. Ill have to get out there and trace some wire.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486