alignment issues, caster camber esscentrics(88 k1500)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
Ok guys here's some questions for you alignment guys. The top of my tire ds only I think is too far in, and needs to come out. I know this because going around curves it squeals and the inside edge is worn more then anything else.

I started my front end rebuild and checked out my upper control arm escentrics, well it doesn't appear I can fit a bigger washer/cam plate in there due to the way the area is made, raised edges to lock it in place.

The bolt itself is in the furthest out point of the slot right now.

It's a torsion bar setup front end and yes they are cranked up.

Now some guys do a balljoint flip, I'm not sure if that'd help or hurt it. The flip is where the bj bolts on top of the UCA, and you bolt it to the bottom of the UCA to flip it. I know this doesn't sound so safe and what not but aparently the 3500's or 2500's Stock is in the flipped location, ball joint under the control arm. That makes me consider it but I'm afraid it'd just hurt the alignment worse then it is.

I have not had it to an alignment shop yet but I do plan to, so it'd help get the alignment dead on.

So what do you guys think any ideas?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
What kind of condition are your LCA bushings in? With the upper cams adjusted to the limit that's the only other thing I can think of that might be bad. Unless there is some kind of front end damage, maybe a slightly bent UCA or LCA? When you had them out did you compare them? I dont think you can get left and right mixed up, the way they're made it just wouldnt work at all. I would also look at the mounts, if the PO did hit a deer or something and replaced a bent control arm the mount may still be slightly tweaked. Wish you were closer to town, Chestnut Street Service Center does great computer alignments, cheap too.

With the t-bars maxed the tires should actually be out a little at the top, you sure they are cranked all the way up? Maybe one side is cranked all the way down? Doesnt even sound feasible but at this point I would be looking at everything.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
never had the uppers out, just took the cam plates off the ds one to inspect.

lower bushings look perfect, uppers have some flaws in them. both the torsion bars are cranked, I did them. The DS can go up more I think, but the PS cannot. I thought of cranking the DS more and if that's the case(leans the top out cranking it up more) then I'll do it.

My 285's could stand some edge wear but I got all new front end parts and would like to have em set it and forget it, that way it's done, at least until I get a real lift put on it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Cranking the t-bars should bring the top of the tires in closer to the frame, since the lower control arm is longer than the upper control arm.

I get the theory of relocating the ball joints, but I'm not sure how much it will actually change the camber. I would go ahead and try it though.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I kept debating on it yesterday when I installed them. I aint sure if I'll change them or not guess it depends on how the alignment goes, if they say no I guess I'll flip them and then try again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man