air bags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
anybody done or familar with air bags? I'm new to it of course and my s10 has them.

No compressor or tanks just manual setup and I'm looking into air line and fittings so I can run them out to say the grille and roll pan for easy filling or dropping.

I hit up the s10 forums and did't find much.

I'd like to go cheap and was wondering if 1/8 line would do it and then use push to connects? but I'd have to find the size on my bags to get the right fitting size.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Not familiar but I've been wanton to put some in do I can ride @ a lifted hight and not feel like I'm riding down a cobblestone road all the time

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You can run those air lines any way you want. The push connectors work fine. Fastenal will have everything you need as far as fittings. We had manual bags on a k5 when I was a kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Too bad your not closer. We have a stockpile of air tanks for semis out here that would work great, all you would need is a compressor.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
lol hey shipping is always on option.

I think later when money permits I'd love to do a tank and valve setup to control from in the cab.

we don't have a fastenal around here unfortunately just autozone, napa, advance, and lowes.

I was looking online for fittings and found what I need, but I have to figure out what size fitting is on my bags then order up some line and shraders

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
How are those bags plumbed? Does each bag have its own line to be aired up or are the back 2 plumbed together as well as the front 2?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
each has it's own. the bad thing is the back 2 are right on top the bag. I'd say impossible with them let down to air em back up.

I was going to plumb the rears together and fronts together, but I think I'll leave them all seperate I just want the fill valves kinda hidden but in an easy spot to get at with it laid out. That's why I was thinking tag area roll pan and grille area

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you plumb at least 2 of them together, they will level each other out and you won't have to worry about getting the same pressure in each.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Never could understand why some are plumbed with a separate line to each bag, seems like it would be a pain trying to get the presssure equalized. I had a '64 El Camino with manual air shocks connected with a T union. The schrader valve was mounted by the back bumper and accessed by opening the tailgate.

The Ride Rites I have on the burb are plumbed together as well, but I have a small compressor under the hood. Decided to carry onboard air because gas stations don't have the free air-up stations like they used to. I didn't bother with a tank, just plumbed straight to the bags with an inline check valve to keep the pressure off the pump.

You must be registered for see images attach

Had this regulator laying around the shop so I installed it in the front wheel well. I found it's easier to stand outside the truck to see when it's level instead of guessing with a controller mounted inside the cab.

picture.php

picture.php

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
The only problem with them being tied together is they will transfer air between them during cornering making body roll worse....

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Maybe on a fully bagged street truck, I dunno. I'm still on leaf springs with roll bars front and rear. I guess installing check valves at the bags like the one I have at the compressor would prevent any transfer of pressure.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
LOL mines fully bagged, no shocks, no springs nothing.

others had said with the seperate you can isolate your problem if one was to leak or go down and cram a board in to make it home or something.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Maybe on a fully bagged street truck, I dunno. I'm still on leaf springs with roll bars front and rear. I guess installing check valves at the bags like the one I have at the compressor would prevent any transfer of pressure.
A check valve would also prevent you from letting the air back out unless you put another valve after the check valve. At which point you might as well run them separate...

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Helper bags an air shocks are completely different from using bags as springs. They are assistance an not supporting the vehicle constantly...

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
very true I'm familar with helpers or air shocks.

never a bag setup much less one without anything else.

which is why i asked about air lines because the cheapo redneck in me thinks hmm getcha a couple air shock line kits and be done.

meanwhile the part of me that wants to learn, grow and advance says.... hmm maybe ask first about using air shock lines or get the stuff made for bags, fittings and all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86sunnyguy