Advice on rebuilding control arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Yes, I've done those once before on a truck I had as a kid. Pretty sure I did them on the truck one at a time as well. They unscrew and I actually think I replaced the shafts one day and then the ball joints the next as I did it my HS auto shop class and you only had one period to work on it. It would take a month to assemble a short block as you could only install one piston/ rod a period before you had to put tools away and clean.
Where can I find the bushings? Also do the shafts usually go bad? Is it likely I will need to replace those as well?

85 CA SIERRA 1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TRACEY
Truck Year
Truck Model
SIERRA CLASSIC
Engine Size
Where can I find the bushings? Also do the shafts usually go bad? Is it likely I will need to replace those as well?
The bushings can be sourced from just about any auto parts store (NAPA, Autozone,O'Rielly's, etc...) or online as already posted.
The shafts rarely go bad, same for the control arms, all the wear is in the bushings. In fact the only time I have seen a FUBAR'd control arm is from extreme impact as a result of collission. I guess if you ran up over a curb hard enough maybe you could tweak one but not likely.
Hope this helps
All the best,
Tracey>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The bushings can be sourced from just about any auto parts store (NAPA, Autozone,O'Rielly's, etc...) or online as already posted.
The shafts rarely go bad, same for the control arms, all the wear is in the bushings. In fact the only time I have seen a FUBAR'd control arm is from extreme impact as a result of collission. I guess if you ran up over a curb hard enough maybe you could tweak one but not likely.
Hope this helps
All the best,
Tracey>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I've been searching all the auto parts store and put in my truck and nothing comes up when I search for control arm bushings

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
Got the bushings out of my lower arm tonight.

Used the air chisel and worked them out.

You must be registered for see images attach

one tip when you get the bushings back in leave the nuts slightly loose until the truck is back on the ground . bounce the truck a couple times . then tighten them . this keeps the bushings from binding in there neutral position..

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Napa part # 267-3526 or the less expensive version # 12138

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Napa part # 267-3526 or the less expensive version # 12138
I put it in and it says it won't fit my vehicle. Do the control arms even have bushings? Heres the lmc truck part catalog. Part #6 is the right shaft assembly and doesnt look like it has bushings. Unless they dont sell them separately. Maybe they come inside the control arm but they should sell separate ones somewhere right?
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
OK, sorry. My mistake . Read and comprehend ,right? Those are for C10's. The C20 napa # is 280-5521, the less expensive line # 13168A. Sorry again. These #'s are the shaft and the bushing. When you do this to install you have to center the shaft in the arm and screw both bushings onto the shaft and the arm together. Inner and outer threads

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
OK, sorry. My mistake . Read and comprehend ,right? Those are for C10's. The C20 napa # is 280-5521, the less expensive line # 13168A. Sorry again. These #'s are the shaft and the bushing. When you do this to install you have to center the shaft in the arm and screw both bushings onto the shaft and the arm together. Inner and outer threads
Thanks for finding those for me I appreciate it. Is there a place I can buy just the bushings though? The shaft is almost as much as a whole new arm.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Unfortunately , I don't think you can buy them separate. Is there looseness in yours? This is Napa parts , you should check Autozone , oreillys and any others (Rockauto) for bushings only

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Just found Autozone listing. Part # FA1142 shaft and bushing kit for $28.99 or part# 520-191 for $39.49

kidego31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
They are not real hard to do just time consuming. I got mine through rockauto. If you have never done them before(these were my first) plan a whole day. There are tons of videos on youtube on how to do them.
You must be registered for see images attach

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Just found Autozone listing. Part # FA1142 shaft and bushing kit for $28.99 or part# 520-191 for $39.49
Yeah I think I'm gonna go with autozone shaft kits and advance Auto parts ball joints. That's the cheapest way to go and I get a lifetime warranty. I was debating going with Moog stuff but it's my first car and I'm on a tight budget. Moog shafts and ball joints are 464 and I what I decided on is 262.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
one tip when you get the bushings back in leave the nuts slightly loose until the truck is back on the ground . bounce the truck a couple times . then tighten them . this keeps the bushings from binding in there neutral position..
That's very good advice for C10's ,but the C20's are a metal to metal bushing that screw into the arm and onto the shaft, so you need them tight. Also the shaft has to be centered for it to rotate.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That's very good advice for C10's ,but the C20's are a metal to metal bushing that screw into the arm and onto the shaft, so you need them tight. Also the shaft has to be centered for it to rotate.
Do you think its a bad idea to go with cheap parts if I get a lifetime warranty? I'm on a tight budget and its my first car so I understand its better to suck it up and buy more quality parts, but will the autozone or advance parts do for now? The warranty guarantees I get at least one free replacement on each part I buy. I was thinking if I just bought the cheap shaft kit and ball joints, at least I'd still have quality OEM control arms instead of cheap autozone ones.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Hard Question to answer. How much are you gonna drive it, how hard are you gonna drive it? How old are you, do you wanna do this again and how soon? The other thing is any part can go bad whether it is an expensive part or not. I have used "good" parts and cheaper parts, with equal success. I don't have a problem with Autozone stuff. Kinda depends on how you get along with the guy behind the counter selling you the parts. Be sure to keep all receipts for your purchases,it helps for warranty purposes. Good luck!! YMMV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC