Advice on new exhaust - manifolds back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
My exhaust is in need of replacement: it's rusted, there are holes in the muffler, holes in the pipes, cracked hangers, failed cat, etc. So I'm looking to replace everything from after the manifolds - those look fine, and I don't want headers.

One thing that I don't like about what I believe is the stock system - is that awkward Y-pipe that connects the 2 manifolds. This pipe hangs very low (lower than oil pan, transmission) - it's just asking to be smashed on something.

So I am wondering if there is a better y-pipe that is tucked up a bit more - otherwise I am also looking at going with a true dual exhaust system. This is an emissions vehicle, so it would require 2 cats and mufflers if I went dual. Also, not sure how difficult this is with a transfer case/front driveshaft... Did 4wd trucks come with dual exhaust + cats?

I remember seeing some diagrams on the factory exhaust systems - showing the different setups for single, dual, and combinations of those with the different emissions packages (federal, california, etc).
Anybody know where I can find these? I would like to replicate the factory system in terms of hangers, pipe diameters, and muffler/cat location.

And lastly, my options for exhaust tone. I am looking for the absolute quietest exhaust possible - I would think a dual would give me quieter sound since there would be two mufflers. Basically, whatever I can do to have the softest exhaust at all rpms. Sticking with manifolds I think would help keep the noise down, right?

I will be farming this job out to a local exhaust shop.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
My exhaust is in need of replacement: it's rusted, there are holes in the muffler, holes in the pipes, cracked hangers, failed cat, etc. So I'm looking to replace everything from after the manifolds - those look fine, and I don't want headers.

One thing that I don't like about what I believe is the stock system - is that awkward Y-pipe that connects the 2 manifolds. This pipe hangs very low (lower than oil pan, transmission) - it's just asking to be smashed on something.

So I am wondering if there is a better y-pipe that is tucked up a bit more - otherwise I am also looking at going with a true dual exhaust system. This is an emissions vehicle, so it would require 2 cats and mufflers if I went dual. Also, not sure how difficult this is with a transfer case/front driveshaft... Did 4wd trucks come with dual exhaust + cats?

I remember seeing some diagrams on the factory exhaust systems - showing the different setups for single, dual, and combinations of those with the different emissions packages (federal, california, etc).
Anybody know where I can find these? I would like to replicate the factory system in terms of hangers, pipe diameters, and muffler/cat location.

And lastly, my options for exhaust tone. I am looking for the absolute quietest exhaust possible - I would think a dual would give me quieter sound since there would be two mufflers. Basically, whatever I can do to have the softest exhaust at all rpms. Sticking with manifolds I think would help keep the noise down, right?

I will be farming this job out to a local exhaust shop.

I went from straight pipes with glass packs to pypes violator mufflers replacing the glass packs and now at interstate speeds I hear the 33x12.50s over the exhaust..I have a quick video ill post in a bit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli