90's model heavy half bolt rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ya that 14 bolt SF is a very beefed axle compared to a 10 or 12 bolt. Its still not as tuff as a 14 FF but the axle shafts are almost the same diameter and both have the adjustable backlash adjuster nuts.

The ring gear is 1/2 " larger than a ford 9" and has a larger diameter pinion shaft then a 14 FF axle.

Guys don't really have issues with carrier or pinion weakness its more related to being a SF and that gawdawfull G80

It is basically equivalent to a Dana 60 SF axle.

For a 3/4 ton or especially for a 1/2 ton the 14 bolt SF is definitely adequate and up to the task!

The only draw back is that they seem to almost religiously be equipped with the G80 which should be replaced as soon as funds allow it IMO. I have one that works like factory and one that exploded ??? Both in 14 bolt SF axles.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
OK gotcha thanks! I found a heavy half rear end for pretty cheap but I didn't know for sure if it would help me with my dilemma. After I put those new wheels and tires on there this weekend you can really notice the width difference.

So your saying the 14 SF out of a newer truck is wider ? right ?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There were some '88-'98 trucks that came with 6-lug 14 bolt SF axles, some were light duty 2500's while others were heavier duty 1500's. The 2wd version is narrower than the 4x4 version (yes, the 4x4 version will make the wheels stick out further in our trucks) and most 4x4 versions will be found in 1500's. It seems most 2wd's were light duty 2500's.

My 14 bolt SF has a G80 gov-loc, it had exploded at some point before I got it.

And they all had drum brakes. Discs didn't start until the '99 body style, and all those trucks were 10 bolts.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
IM not sure what years but I am sure that the 14 SF was in both 1/2 ton (6 lug) and 3/4 ton (8 lug) trucks and that they can be found with disc brakes with a drum parking brake inside the disc setup. Which is an even wider axle than the non disc brake 14 SF. Mostly found in that half truck half car thingy cant remember the name just that its the ugliest girlish truck Chevrolet has ever made!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
IM not sure what years but I am sure that the 14 SF was in both 1/2 ton (6 lug) and 3/4 ton (8 lug) trucks and that they can be found with disc brakes with a drum parking brake inside the disc setup. Which is an even wider axle than the non disc brake 14 SF. Mostly found in that half truck half car thingy cant remember the name just that its the ugliest girlish truck Chevrolet has ever made!

There were no '88-'98 trucks with rear disc brakes. Rear discs started in '99 with the new bodystyle and ALL the half ton's had a crappy 10 bolt. If there was a 14 bolt SF with disc brakes in those years, it would have been an 8-lug. Probably the early 2500 trucks (non-HD) or the rare 1500 HD crew cab trucks. Or maybe some 2500 Burbs with the 6.0 motor. As far as I know, all the other HD type trucks got the 10.5 or the 11.5 diff. I have no idea what might have been used in the full-sized vans though, maybe those could have had the 6-lug 14 bolt with discs?

What car/truck thing are you talking about? The SSR maybe?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Hmmm so the 14 SF with discs is 2000 up ? What truck would I find a 14 SF 8 lug in after 2000?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
There were no '88-'98 trucks with rear disc brakes. Rear discs started in '99 with the new bodystyle and ALL the half ton's had a crappy 10 bolt. If there was a 14 bolt SF with disc brakes in those years, it would have been an 8-lug. Probably the early 2500 trucks (non-HD) or the rare 1500 HD crew cab trucks. Or maybe some 2500 Burbs with the 6.0 motor. As far as I know, all the other HD type trucks got the 10.5 or the 11.5 diff. I have no idea what might have been used in the full-sized vans though, maybe those could have had the 6-lug 14 bolt with discs?

What car/truck thing are you talking about? The SSR maybe?

^^^^see above post^^^^

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I was under the impression that the 95-99 14 SF were wider than previous years due to factory disc brakes ?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Now that I say that I think its the 99 and up Chevy Avalanche that the 14 SF was used in, I believe, both 6 and 8 lug with disc brakes and the factory drum parking brake ???

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've never seen a 6-lug Avalanche with anything other than a 10 bolt. And the 3/4 ton version came standard with the 8.1 big block and I think the 10.5 full floater. However, if it were a pickup with the 8.1 it would have got the big 11.5 full floater.

Besides all that, the factory rear discs with the internal drum style parking brake are nothing to write home about. They have to be adjusted perfect to hold the truck on an incline, and all the parts rust out quickly. They must have used some very low-grade materials. Starting around '06-'07 sometime, GM started putting drums under a lot of trucks again.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I was just thinking it would pass inspection and then you could remove the parking brake if needed. Plus the discs with the drum parking brake is even wider still. Supposedly ???

I dunno I am just going off of what I have seen posted for info as I am trying to find out what I should be looking under to find the widest 14 SF and with factory disc brakes if possible. Because I can swap my 4:10s and be done.

If a 14 FF came across my path I would be done right there! But it seems like maybe a 14 SF with discs could be had for cheap. I don't really need anything more than a 14 SF anyways. And it is somewhat of a unique or rare axle from my experience of lokking under trucks.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The overall width is wider just because the axle housing itself is wider on newer trucks. Discs don't add any width, they sit flat on the flange just like a drum. The internal parking brake shoe (for the disc brakes) is behind the axle flange, where you would normally have unused space on a drum brake axle.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well I guess you would gain the added width of the 5/16" thickness of the rotor LOL ok thanks Andy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbarham78