87 suburban engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wallace6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Ok so I bought an 87 burb originally a 6.2 but has been swapped to im guessing a 350, definitely small block with a q jet.
weird thing is it has rams horn exhaust manifolds.
is there a way do identify this block? And it runs pretty awesome.
Definitely a big cap gm hei, ram horn exhaust manifolds and a q-jet,700r4 208 so it looks someone before me had a 6.2 and it broke, everything looks factory installed, Just possiblity what engine could be in here

thanks

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Behind the driver side cylinder head on the back of the block will be the Casting number. Might need a flashlight and/or a rag, maybe a brush and some spray.
Behind the alternator on the passenger side, (you'll have to loosen the inside and flip it to see) the Suffix number, which will tell you which type of vehicle the engine was installed in and where it was made.
Those numbers are non-negotiable. That is - what it is. You can look em up on the internet.

Wallace6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I will take a look, I need to tighten the valve cover gasket back there I can clearly see a leak. Thanks

Wallace6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Still didn't get the block # but I was working on doing a coolant flush and realized it has a ram horn exhaust manifold with O2 sensor on the driver side which makes no sense,it's carbed! Rear dump manifold on the passenger side. Was this possibly to line up the previous 6.2 exhaust? I have worked on several square Chevy's and this is a 1st.
Thanks

Wallace6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Ok so the o2 sensor is not plugged into anything, guessing it is sealing the exhaust manifold. Anybody have any idea what would use a driver side ram horn manifold with an o2 sensor?

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc

Wallace6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Ok so back for more lol. Anybody know a plug wire set with 90* on the driver side and straight boots on the passenger side.
Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1