86 Silverado Stalling/Limp Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dethridge123

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
(New to the forum so apologies if I'm not doing this right.)
I have an '86 Chevy Silverado C10 305 with 106,000 miles that recently began losing power and stalling out. It would start and idle fine, but after 5 minutes of driving it would stall out at stoplights and/or lose power, usually on inclines. After a week of this it went into Limp Mode. I've only driven it ~10 miles since, little "test runs" to see if my attempts to fix it are working. So far I've replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump and made sure the PCV Valve is working, and now it performs better from a stalling/power standpoint but it won't exit "Limp Mode" (do I need to clear something?).
I thought I had a fuel/air/exhaust type issue at first but the Limp Mode thing is new and suggests something amiss with the tranny?
Any help would be appreciated. This was my dad's truck and I really want to get it running again!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
If this truck has the CCC computer controlled 4 barrel carb check the metering solenoid. Could be burned up and failed causing the engine to starve for fuel.

dethridge123

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Thanks for the tip! Yes, based on your post and some investigation I appear to have an electronically controlled quadrajet carburetor. I found the "mixture control solenoid" but I'm not sure how to test it or remove it. If I simply disconnect the wiring would the engine run rich (always in the "cold engine, more gas" mode) but not stall? Not the final answer but an easy way to test if the solenoid is kaput? I also have a multimeter and could check voltages on the connector?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammygunns