83 6.2 diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I know very little about diesels, is the 6.2l in an 83 k20 reliable?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The 6.2L diesel is extremely reliable. Parts are equally accessible relative to those of the gasoline engines. You can learn to work on it very easily. It's not complex like the common rail diesels or Power Stroke diesels of today. The only trade off is that it's not as strong as the more modern diesel. That's why some people overlook the Detroit Diesels, but they don't come any more reliable. I mean, the military used the CUCVs. Those were diesels. The only bad diesel that GM ever really made was the Olds 350 Diesels that they put in the station wagons and pickup trucks back in the seventies. Stay away from those.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Think of it this way GM would not have put it in there trucks for so many years if it wasn't reliable 1982-2000

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
The 6.2L diesel is extremely reliable. Parts are equally accessible relative to those of the gasoline engines. You can learn to work on it very easily. It's not complex like the common rail diesels or Power Stroke diesels of today. The only trade off is that it's not as strong as the more modern diesel. That's why some people overlook the Detroit Diesels, but they don't come any more reliable. I mean, the military used the CUCVs. Those were diesels. The only bad diesel that GM ever really made was the Olds 350 Diesels that they put in the station wagons and pickup trucks back in the seventies. Stay away from those.

they also were available in 80s gbody cars.. I know they are terrible diesels, but heard you can bore and stroke them to 500ci gas engines.... Guessing it makes more sense to find a turbo version rather than swap the parts over to an NA if more power is required.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djk00