'80 K30 cruise control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Got a question on my 1980 Chevy K30. Under the hood, it has all the cruise control items that were still hooked up, but inside is a mystery. It has a tilt steering column that I tore down the other day to rebuild and install new key switch (auto column). Didn't even think about it, but the turn signal lever is just the basic lever screwed onto the plastic turn signal switch inside column. I pulled that out as I was diving into the column and underneath found the wires that went to a stalk cruise control. I still have not been able to find what I may have looked at and not sure what my options are if I want to hook it back up. Any info or ideas out there?

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Got a question on my 1980 Chevy K30. Under the hood, it has all the cruise control items that were still hooked up, but inside is a mystery. It has a tilt steering column that I tore down the other day to rebuild and install new key switch (auto column). Didn't even think about it, but the turn signal lever is just the basic lever screwed onto the plastic turn signal switch inside column. I pulled that out as I was diving into the column and underneath found the wires that went to a stalk cruise control. I still have not been able to find what I may have looked at and not sure what my options are if I want to hook it back up. Any info or ideas out there?

Not sure availability on the turn signal lever with the push button cruise switch, but if you can find one, go for it !

If not - want to sell some cruise parts ?

:)

The cruise in Goldie works, but can get spastic at times.

Good Luck !

Britt

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Not sure availability on the turn signal lever with the push button cruise switch, but if you can find one, go for it !

If not - want to sell some cruise parts ?

:)

The cruise in Goldie works, but can get spastic at times.

Good Luck !

Britt

Make sure the vacuum lines related to the servo aren’t cracked, and make sure your one way check valve coming off the intake and the vacuum storage canister are in working order.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Don't know if they are the same, but a quick search turned up this :

https://www.opgi.com/gto/CH31611/?m...term=4587025074756887&utm_content=$100 - $200

So, they are potentially out there.

@1987 GMC Jimmy - I read it ( right or wrong ) as that he had all the under hood cruise parts, but no cruise lever, and that the wires for the cruise were still inside the column.

Probably someone did not know about the tie a wire to the bottom of the old end ( should be a hole in the plug in side ) to allow you to pull the old switch out, then easily get the wires back in to the same spot in the column for the new switch.

Or, maybe they did not want to spend the dollars for the stalk, or maybe it was not available, or maybe I read his post all wrong ...

Who knows - tired as I stayed up watching the Stros get their asses kicked. :(

You must be registered for see images attach

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
My truck has resume for the cruise so there's that possibility for the stalk too. I would assume the cruise transducer under the hood is not universal but I have no direct knowledge on that and I'm not sure how you can tell by looking at it but someone here should know.

Last edited:

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
I'll get some pictures of all the parts tonight. All I know for sure is that someone had been into the signal switch before since one of the 3 screws for the signal switch was missing, the lever is the non-cruise control lever and the wiring to old control on lever was broke off flush just under the signal switch plastic.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350

https://www.opgi.com/gto/CH31611/?msclkid=60f1e7dd79911b3bd7f6ba6cea0b95c7&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping - GTO&utm_term=4587025074756887&utm_content=$100 - $200

@1987 GMC Jimmy - I read it ( right or wrong ) as that he had all the under hood cruise parts, but no cruise lever, and that the wires for the cruise were still inside the column.

Probably someone did not know about the tie a wire to the bottom of the old end ( should be a hole in the plug in side ) to allow you to pull the old switch out, then easily get the wires back in to the same spot in the column for the new switch.

Or, maybe they did not want to spend the dollars for the stalk, or maybe it was not available, or maybe I read his post all wrong ...

Never seen one like that before, looked it up and classic industries has one. Wiring is correct in the picture. This type was listed for most GM vehicles with the dimmer switch on the floor instead of the signal switch, that is what was confusing me. So with this type of cruise, looks like it is just a maintained button like the hazards maybe that you click in to turn cruise on and click out for it off? Haven't got into the wiring under the dash yet, assuming it has the typical brake switch cancel too. Honestly, none of my cars that I've owned pre-80 had cruise so never seen one before.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Never seen one like that before, looked it up and classic industries has one. Wiring is correct in the picture. This type was listed for most GM vehicles with the dimmer switch on the floor instead of the signal switch, that is what was confusing me. So with this type of cruise, looks like it is just a maintained button like the hazards maybe that you click in to turn cruise on and click out for it off? Haven't got into the wiring under the dash yet, assuming it has the typical brake switch cancel too. Honestly, none of my cars that I've owned pre-80 had cruise so never seen one before.

Yeah - you push the button on the end to engage the cruise initially.

Hold it in, and your speed will drop ( after it is set ) , and a single push after the cruise is set bumps your speed up in 1 MPH increments.

Mine fights with me about getting set - sometimes, one push, and sometimes 15.

Then, when set, it will sometimes decide no, I don't like your setting - let's do 10 MPH faster.

Goldie has a mind of her own ...

Got a link to the Classic Industries unit ?

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Lol, so it's the opposite of a wife since they seem to try and make you go 10 mph slower. ;)

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size

https://www.opgi.com/gto/CH31611/?msclkid=60f1e7dd79911b3bd7f6ba6cea0b95c7&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping - GTO&utm_term=4587025074756887&utm_content=$100 - $200

No, I was talking about your jerky cruise issue. I know a cheap, junky cable will confuse the Hall effect sensor on the 84+ trucks, but I don’t know if a bad upper or lower cable would do the same to the transducer.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
No, I was talking about your jerky cruise issue. I know a cheap, junky cable will confuse the Hall effect sensor on the 84+ trucks, but I don’t know if a bad upper or lower cable would do the same to the transducer.

Gotcha.

Best of my knowledge, all the cables are OE - the vacuum lines probably are, too - good call. The reducer unit that the cable screws into at the transfer case may be wonky, too - if the yare available, and not gawd awful expensive, I'd be willing to try one of those as a throw it against the wall and see what sticks move.

Both cables have been lubed - completely - I pulled them out to do it - so the only other mechanical issue I can see would be if the Cruise master unit is showing it's age.

Speedo needle gets wiggy , too, so any of the above are possible.

I have not gone junk yarding in a long time, but most of the places here want to specialize in late model chit.

Umm, yeah - I am going junk yarding for my 2017 Whatchamacallit - probably not, probably not.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Lol, so it's the opposite of a wife since they seem to try and make you go 10 mph slower. ;)

Mine has a lead foot compared to me, so maybe not in this case. She has only ridden in Goldie once - the rest of the time it's just me. :D

I am single handedly trying to keep the Oil & Gas bidness going in TX when I drive Goldie - thirsty girl. :dogpile:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Mine has a lead foot compared to me, so maybe not in this case. She has only ridden in Goldie once - the rest of the time it's just me. :D

I am single handedly trying to keep the Oil & Gas bidness going in TX when I drive Goldie - thirsty girl. :dogpile:
Same here. Also does the speedo need to work in order for the cruise to work?

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Same here. Also does the speedo need to work in order for the cruise to work?

I don't think the Speedo itself has to work, but the cables leading to the cruise module for sure have to work.

I guess it is possible that the output cable to the Speedo may not be turning which for sure means that the Speedo wont, but that would also mean something in your cruise unit is buggered - assuming, of course , the cable from the tranny to the cruise module is turning.

Easy enough- unscrew the end and see if you can paint a line on the cable end and the housing. Back up a bit ( or pull forward ) and see if the paint marks still line up.

If they do , nothing turned .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes