700r4 from 84 c3 vette ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
86 and older 700 have a valve body without a forward clutch accumulator (also known as “auxiliary valve body”) I think they also and the smaller input sprag. The easy identifying clue is a thin casting line that starts above the oil pan rain, arches over the servo, and ends at the pump. The 84 and earlier are the ones to stay away from, they have the smaller input shaft splines, and other design flaws. It took a few years to work out all the bugs, but eventually GM got it figured out.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
pre 87 700s are weak and need many upgrades for stock production after that. If you want 500 and using an LT1 go straight to the 4l80e dont waste time and money trying to build a stout 700.

This ^^^^^

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Generally would agree with strength on 700r4. They can be built, but in a truck 4l80e is easier swap than in a car and holds power much better. Stock 90's corvettes and fbodys with spirited driving very often blow the 4l60e(electronic control 700r4).

But being likely a budget swap using what is available should be ok for some time. Not advisable full throttle shift in to 3rd gear.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Generally would agree with strength on 700r4. They can be built, but in a truck 4l80e is easier swap than in a car and holds power much better. Stock 90's corvettes and fbodys with spirited driving very often blow the 4l60e(electronic control 700r4).

But being likely a budget swap using what is available should be ok for some time. Not advisable full throttle shift in to 3rd gear.

As adaily driver with stock hp it will be fine but for what he has planned he needs to re think this. A stage 2 700 is rated for 450lbs and cost more than a stock rebuild on a 4l80, go to stage 3 600lbs and you are well over the cost of the 4l80 and a rebuild.

Hugeroost

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Guys this 700 has already been built up. When the motor was done and it put out so much hp first thing that happened was it blew the tranny. My uncle had it gone through and built up to hold 600hp. They got that all put back together and then the whole dash blew out. This was the first vette w the all electonic dash. It was at that point that his son, who I had sold the car to, said F all this and went and bought a brand new camaro SS. That's where the car sits today, under a huge oak tree in my uncles yard, brand new badass motor and tranny. My uncle died, my aunt said come get this car outta my yard you can have it back. I intend to just give it away when I pull the stuff I want. The weird thing is, this car dont have 40k original miles on it, it sat in my garage for years and I barely drove it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmritz