4x4 hub issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rgarton88

Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
5.7L
I drive a 89 suburban v2500 stock no lift or over size tires. It has the 700r4 and np208 tcase. The issue I'm having is while I'm driving the auto hubs want to lock in. I have to pull over put it into 4hi and back into 2hi to get it to stop. The last few weeks it's been doing it more. I'm not sure what the issue is. I was going to get away from the auto hubs and go to the manual huds. Would that be a good idea?

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Some people like auto hubs. I do not, for lots of reasons. Trying to lock in while flying down the freeway is serious. You can try to fix yours if you want, have shop manual and drawings posted: http://www.bacliffrv.com/TruckParts.

Pro Tip #237 - When installing your manual hubs, put a bend in one end of the "wire retaining ring" which holds the manual hub in place. Makes it much easier to R&R manual hubs for servicing.

Last edited:

Rgarton88

Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
5.7L
Some people like auto hubs. I do not, for lots of reasons. Trying to lock in while flying down the freeway is serious. You can try to fix yours if you want, have shop manual and drawings posted: http://www.bacliffrv.com/TruckParts.

Pro Tip #237 - When installing your manual hubs, put a bend in one end of the "wire retaining ring" which holds the manual hub in place. Makes it much easier to R&R manual hubs for servicing.
Would this also be cause by the transfer case having issues? Like the shift fork inserts ( the pads on the forks) of linkage issue?

Rgarton88

Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
5.7L
Would this also be cause by the transfer case having issues? Like the shift fork inserts ( the pads on the forks) of linkage issue?

I just talked to a guy at a transmission shop he said the automatic locking hubs are the issue there's something going out inside that's causing it to lock the front axle he recommended putting manual hubs in it. I will try that this weekend and see if that will fix the issue

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size

When the t-case fork inserts get worn you will find your t-case slipping into neutral while driving down the road. I believe your transmission guy is right, throw those auto hubs in the recycle bin, install some manuals and never look back.

Last edited:

Rgarton88

Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
5.7L
When the t-case fork inserts get worn you will find your t-case slipping into neutral while driving down the road. I believe your transmission guy is right, throw those auto hubs in the recycle bin, install some manuals and never look back.

Ok so I found out the issue with my auto hubs. The shop I had do my wheel bearings didn't install my driver side auto hub right. So I just took the auto hubs off and put manual hubs in it. Fixed the issue. Thanks everyone for the help.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Ok so I found out the issue with my auto hubs. The shop I had do my wheel bearings didn't install my driver side auto hub right. So I just took the auto hubs off and put manual hubs in it. Fixed the issue. Thanks everyone for the help.

Sounds like auto hubs were not really bad then? If they are good, how much do you want for the old ones shipped to 77843?

Rgarton88

Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
5.7L
I'm not sure how much it is to have them shipped to you. Id half to find a box and have them weighted.

Rgarton88

Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
5.7L
I'm not sure how much it is to have them shipped to you. Id half to find a box and have them weighted.

Truck is running great. I have no issues with the manual hubs. Thanks everyone for the advice

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP