454 starter buzzing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbreeeeeeeeew

Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
Hello this is my first time on the forumn I have 1973 gmc c1500 with the 454
and I recently had a problem with the starter solenoid when I turned the key sometimes it would start fine and sometimes it would buzz so I took the starter and battery to the local parts house and had them tested the starter
turned out good but the 14 year old battery failed so I put a new optima yellow top in and it went away for a while but now its back and I took the terminals off and cleaned them on the battery but that didn't help. I have not taken the starter back off and have it tested yet I just wanted to know could it be anything else before I take it off. Thanks for your help.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
What exactly do you mean by buzzing?

Kinda sounds like two buzzsaws attacking each other?

A wild guess would be you need to shim the starter.

Jbreeeeeeeeew

Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
No its not hitting anything like metal on metal contact its like power is going to it but its not engaging

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A very bad connection or low voltage, somewhere in the primary source of voltage to the starter.
I have heard a severly loose connection to the starter cause this buzzing noise You speak of.
There is a smaller wire that also attaches to the starters battery post. That wires terminal has a "Key" built onto it, that key is suppose to fit in a notch on the solenoids cap. I have seen where that key is not aligned with the notch, the nut is tightened on the post, after driving and some jiggling, that wire turns a little, causing the battery wire to become loose, making for a bad connection, recheck to be sure they are tight, if so, get out Your volt meter and check the batterys voltage{could do this first} if the new battery is below 12 volts, then You had better get a set of jumpers, start the pickup and check the charging system, if that proves to be OK then, get the battery charged and tested.
If the battery is OK then, replace the solenoid.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Oh YEAH, welcome into the forum Brewster.

Jbreeeeeeeeew

Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
Thanks guys im going to check everything tomorrow and ill get back to yall

Jbreeeeeeeeew

Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
I just tightened up everything and checked the nipple on the terminal and it was all good. And its still happening. Im kinda embarrassed to say this but I dont know how to check the charging system or ignition switch. Its had a new starter solenoid and ignition switch in the distributor.

Starter leads check
solenoid leads check
battery check

charging system not check
ignition switch not check

thanks guys

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
When you say buzzing, do you mean like an electrical shorting sound?? Do you smell anything different when it buzzes that could indicate something heating??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chype1