40/60 seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I scored these seats out of a 91 Chevy. Was wondering if anybody has any suggestions on mounting them in a Square.
You must be registered for see images attach

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The holes in the seat brackets will definitely not line up with the weld nuts in the cab floor.

Getting them into a 81-87 will take some time, effort and patience.

How about cutting the mounting brackets off your current bench seat. Then, when you have them targeted in place, fabricate some type of adapter frame. One that is welded to the stock legs and drilled/tapped to accept the bolting from the 60/40 set.

Or you could just drill new holes through the floor in the appropriate locations. There would be a certain amount of shimming involved and the bolts would have to be nutted undr the floor - (unless you have access to a welder and could make your own weld nuts).

Maybe someone has done this modification and can step you through it.

Last edited:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The squares cab, from the back wall, ramps down wards, towards the front.
There is an excellent write up somewhere`s in here about moding the cabs floor to accept the flat seat mountings. That was on a set of buckets, I do`nt know how much different it`d be with the n60/40s.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
The holes in the seat brackets will definitely not line up with the weld nuts in the cab floor.

Getting them into a 81-87 will take some time, effort and patience.

How about cutting the mounting brackets off your current bench seat. Then, when you have them targeted in place, fabricate some type of adapter frame. One that is welded to the stock legs and drilled/tapped to accept the bolting from the 60/40 set.

Or you could just drill new holes through the floor in the appropriate locations. There would be a certain amount of shimming involved and the bolts would have to be nutted undr the floor - (unless you have access to a welder and could make your own weld nuts).

Maybe someone has done this modification and can step you through it.

Plus besides the underside nutting it should have a structural reinforcing channel like the factory location. Don't you agree?

Posted From Hell

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Plus besides the underside nutting it should have a structural reinforcing channel like the factory location. Don't you agree?

Posted From Hell

The squares cab, from the back wall, ramps down wards, towards the front.
There is an excellent write up somewhere`s in here about moding the cabs floor to accept the flat seat mountings. That was on a set of buckets, I do`nt know how much different it`d be with the n60/40s.

I do remember seeing a write up where the floor of the truck was actually cut out and replaced with a flat surface to accommodate the bucket seats, I haven't been able to locate it yet. But then again, I probably wouldn't go that far with my square. If I can fabricate a frame for the seats that will mount in the existing holes, that will probably be the route I'll take.
I was thinking about cutting the brackets off the new seat and taking the rails off my existing seat, and starting from there.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
it should have a structural reinforcing channel like the factory location. Don't you agree?

For sure - the relocating of the mounting points was just a broad, off-hand suggestion (as was the adapter bracket idea).

I really don't know anything about these modifications (especially the structural details).

Passenger seating construction/safety restraint systems are two of the most highly studied (and regulated) aspects of motor vehicle construction.

In the event of a collision, any unauthorized changes made to the original design of these systems could cause them to malfunction. This could result in serious injury/death to the vehicle's occupants.

Consequently, any advice I offer in these areas should be carefully considered and taken with a huge grain of salt.

I am from NH. We don't take kindly to the federal "gummint" tellin us what we can and cannot do in the name of safety.

NH State Motto: "Live Free Or Die"

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I do remember seeing a write up where the floor of the truck was actually cut out and replaced with a flat surface to accommodate the bucket seats, I haven't been able to locate it yet. But then again, I probably wouldn't go that far with my square. If I can fabricate a frame for the seats that will mount in the existing holes, that will probably be the route I'll take.
I was thinking about cutting the brackets off the new seat and taking the rails off my existing seat, and starting from there.

I think that was Old77's seat write up.

Posted From Hell

DavieL

Reaction score
First Name
Davie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
5.3 LS with Holley EFI
VAL do you have an update on your seat instillation? I have a 60/40 seat out of a 98 Tahoe with the same brackets as your seat. I want to put it in my 86 Silverado.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Possibly the rear mounting on the bracket of the seat could be cut off and a step down bracket built to accomodate the sloping of the rear floor board.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I ended up selling the seats to a guy before I could start on the project. I have since acquired some seats off a 2002 hd. I haven't completely decided if I really want to do away with my original bench. I have seen some pretty nice set-ups online, but for the most part they are just show trucks. My truck gets used everyday, and don't know if I want to dump so much cash and time. And that's my dilemma. If I win the lottery here soon, Ill be putting in some leather Ricaro's in with a custom console, and 4 link suspension, full hydo steering, blown 454, oh ****, getting off topic, sorry. But yeah that's where im at.

DavieL

Reaction score
First Name
Davie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
5.3 LS with Holley EFI
I was hoping you already had everything figured out so you could tell me how to do it.:happy107:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64