4 speed manual tranmission ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thomas lipford

Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I have three extra 4 speed manual transmissions for 78 chevy trucks. My question is i have a 78 chevy 4x4 it came with a automatic tranny and went out. Now the manual transmissions are for 2wd one ton trucks. I want to know if i can take one and put it in my 4x4? Will it bolt to my transfer case? Do i need some type of adapter to make them work or do i need to just scrap the idea? Its something i was wanting to try any help on the subject woud be nice

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
The manual transmissions will require a new output shaft to be installed, most likely custom splined, if available, or the input on the transfer case to be changed to match the factory 4x4 output shaft. you would also need to source an adapter to mate the two together. Also would need to source the pedal assembly and clutch linkage to make it work. Not impossible, but a lot more expense and work than rebuilding or replacing the auto.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay Don