305 to 4.8 worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Crank AND rods are different. If the 4.8 used the same rods as the 5.3, then the piston would be far down in the hole. The 4.8 DOES have flat-top pistons though, compared to the dished pistons in the 5.3. Now besides the piston volume, they do have the same dimensions. So you could swap a 5.3 crank/rods into a 4.8 or swap 4.8 pistons into a 5.3 for a 10:1+ compression 5.3. Been done many times...

For the mating an LSx engine up to an older transmission situation, here's how it goes. If you have an iron-headed '99-00 6.0L, then you have a long crank snout and you can bolt up any old trans without issue. If you have an '01 up 6.0L or any other LSx(4.8, 5.3, LS1, etc) then to bolt up to a older trans you have a few options:

1) Run a factory LSx dished flexplate along with a crankshaft pilot extender.

2) Run a crankshaft spacer and flat flexplate combo from a '01 up 6.0L that was backed by a 4L80E.

3) Get a custom made torque converter for your trans with a LS1 style front cover.

Ah, I was a year off it seems. Thanks for the correction and great info!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If I do the swap, I had planned to go with a 4l60e. I have seen good ones for sale around here for cheap. I actually used to have one with only 50K on it, but I gave it away because I thought I would never need it :doh2: If I go with the overdrive, I already have a 3.42 rear I can stick under the back of the truck.

As for the engine noise, it's not piston slap. It sounds similar, but it starts after the engine gets warmed up a bit. The replacement 5.3 he got has a cam with a pitted lobe and bad lifter roller. He bought a new GM cam and gaskets, etc. I wonder what that pitted lobe sounded like (we never heard it run)? Maybe that's what is wrong with the 4.8 too?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn: