1996 Grand Cherokee transmission rebuild & on to other stuff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I gonna do this. Might do it to all my rigs. How did you keep it in place on the grill?
On my Jeep, the grille is screwed in place with I think 8 screws. I made the screen bigger than the opening, and folded over the edges, and screwed through the screen, sandwiching the screen in place.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Back when I was working on stationary air compressors in industry, moisture in the compressed air was an issue for some plants. To dry the air a dehumidifier was used. Like an AC unit it cooled the compressed air, then the condensed moisture could be removed.

The evaporator on these units would get dirty and they would not cool the air enough. We found Simple Green cleaner worked well to clean them. Let the cleaner soak then blow it out before it dried. If you are pulling the refrigerant out you could remove the condenser and clean it without blowing the dirt into the radiator.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
On my Jeep, the grille is screwed in place with I think 8 screws. I made the screen bigger than the opening, and folded over the edges, and screwed through the screen, sandwiching the screen in place.
That was what I was seeing as well, of course my grill is different than yours and I have a space below the bumper that would need screening as well. Thanks.
Back when I was working on stationary air compressors in industry, moisture in the compressed air was an issue for some plants. To dry the air a dehumidifier was used. Like an AC unit it cooled the compressed air, then the condensed moisture could be removed.

The evaporator on these units would get dirty and they would not cool the air enough. We found Simple Green cleaner worked well to clean them. Let the cleaner soak then blow it out before it dried. If you are pulling the refrigerant out you could remove the condenser and clean it without blowing the dirt into the radiator.
I've used Purple power, which use to clean the shop floors and I hit it the brake cleaner. Dirt and grease is not the main issue anymore it's the evergreen tree needles. I may if I get the time this weekend (looks like I'm going to loose a day for a feed run now) pull the grill off and see what else I can do to get the needles out, but if it comes to removing the condenser to get it clean I might just opt to replace it, and add a screen in for future protection.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
One tip I will share, is to add a piece of metal window screen with the edges folded over to give it a little strength and allows it to fit between/behind the grille. After I got my Jeep I was doing a lot of back and forth driving for visitation, and a few times I encountered bees, and bees plug up radiators and condensers in a hurry. After spending a couple of hours picking out debris and insect pieces, I installed some of the screen as a safety feature to catch insects before they get into the fins. It works well, and I have not had to clean the fins for almost 20 years now.
Great idea! And totally forgot about this
When I got my first truck. 66c20 i noticed that original/previous owner did just that. He traveled across the country each summer when not driving local school busses and I'm sure it was very helpful! Still has original Harrison in it.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Great idea! And totally forgot about this
When I got my first truck. 66c20 i noticed that original/previous owner did just that. He traveled across the country each summer when not driving local school busses and I'm sure it was very helpful! Still has original Harrison in it.
I always meant to do this with Crusty Biscuit, but never did. I wish I had, though, as we were driving near Kerville on our way to her hometown for our wedding, and there was a cluster of thousands of bees. They covered the windshield and every forward facing surface of the truck. Many of them got stuck in the radiator. I never had a chance to clean them out before coming back, and then forgot about it later on. Now it's wrecked, but when I get it going again, screen will be going in front of the radiator before the first fire-up.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok I could use some ideas here. The headliner in the Jeep has become somewhat of a problem. Specifically the shade for the sunroof. The headliner material wraps around the "board" or shade, and it's been impossible to get it wrapped back around. I've reglued the fabric a couple of times, but without being able to wrap it around it gets scrapped off opening and closing it. At this point it's a hot mess. I'm either going to simply pull the material off, which will not look the best or does anyone know if the sunroof shades come out without dropping the rest of the headliner? If I can figure out how to get it out I'd just put new fabric up.

You must be registered for see images attach

@DoubleDingo I'm hoping maybe you might have a good idea for this one. Thanks.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
I wish I was able to help, but I have zero experience with headliners, and even less with sunroof headliners.
I think @bucket has headliner experience. There are others, too, I just can't recall who at the moment.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't recall ever having one of those specific models taken down, but normally the headliner needs removed to remove the panel.

Trying to re-glue failed material never works and it will fall down in short order. If you don't want to recover the headliner and sun shade, you can just pull off the material. Wear safety glasses though! That deteriorated backer foam sucks real bad when you get it in your eye. If just the sun shade bothers you, pull the material off and then use a stiff nylon brush to remove the old foam. It would be wise to utilize a shop vac at the same time.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I wish I was able to help, but I have zero experience with headliners, and even less with sunroof headliners.
I think @bucket has headliner experience. There are others, too, I just can't recall who at the moment.
I wasn't sure and you got someone involved that knows. Thanks.
I don't recall ever having one of those specific models taken down, but normally the headliner needs removed to remove the panel.

Trying to re-glue failed material never works and it will fall down in short order. If you don't want to recover the headliner and sun shade, you can just pull off the material. Wear safety glasses though! That deteriorated backer foam sucks real bad when you get it in your eye. If just the sun shade bothers you, pull the material off and then use a stiff nylon brush to remove the old foam. It would be wise to utilize a shop vac at the same time.
Right I know regluing failed material is a band aid at best. In the case of the sunshade I did it because it was hanging down and really didn't know what else to do. I figured the only way to get the panel out was to pull the headliner, but I was hoping I was wrong. I guess for now I'll do the yank the material off and vacuum it up. Thanks.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Only need the sun shade like 6.9 days a year around here. And on those days you can open the sunroof. Haha Rip that sht off of there and retract it. Sunroof looks way better anyways!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Only need the sun shade like 6.9 days a year around here. And on those days you can open the sunroof. Haha Rip that sht off of there and retract it. Sunroof looks way better anyways!
I agree. Honestly my favorite thing about the sunroof both in the Jeep and the wife's van is the amount of extra light it lets in the vehicle on cloudy days. The only time I shut the sunshade is when it's hot enough to run the A/C.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Since doing the evaporator and heater core I've only driven the Jeep a handful of times to work, and only once since it has cooled off. So I thought I picked up on a heating abnormality, but kind of shrugged it off. Today it was obvious. Set the thermostat at 70F and left the house, as normal it took a few minutes to kick on and nice hot heat was blowing. Then just as I was getting comfortable, boom ice cold air. Turn the thermostat up a few degrees and it blows heat for a few, then boom ice cold air. Well I did a little research and it looks like I should check the interior thermistor, apparently if they are dirty this can happen. Also there is a manual step calibration for the blend door where it gets put in one place the ATC is programmed. Since I bought a used ATC it is possible that someone modified the program for some reason, or visa versa. So got to clean the thermistor then look at programming.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
With the exception of an odd trip here and there the Jeep has been in park my last update. I'm now looking down the barrel of some potential financial strain so I need to start driving the Jeep more, for a couple of reasons. One is to take wear and tear off the truck of the day to day commute for now, and the Jeep does ever so slightly better in gas mileage. So this past weekend I cleaned the thermistor. This morning on my way to work I had the same issue as previously but not as bad. So the thermistor of located behind a small louvered part of the grill roughly to the right of the heater controls. The sensor is in a tube, and the tube is connected to the suction side of the blower, so it's constantly running cabin air past the thermistor. Turns out there was a small tear in the tube. Coming home tonight it seems much more it's normal self, but the morning drive tomorrow when it's cooler out will be the really test.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes